PDA

View Full Version : Grill in Your Fireplace

Lon Henderson
03-14-2013, 08:04 AM
I saw this yesterday. A gas grill in a fireplace. This is an early 60's home with a gas conversion in the fireplace. The damper was working and there wasn't an outside gas shutoff so this was a non-complying conversion.

But you can grill that steak on a cold snowy winter's evening in the comfort of your family room.28314

Scott Patterson
03-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Where was the gas shut off valve or did you not find one at all?

Lon Henderson
03-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Where was the gas shut off valve or did you not find one at all?

The shutoff for the fireplace was the one that turned the entire house off at the meter!

Scott Patterson
03-14-2013, 02:46 PM
The shutoff for the fireplace was the one that turned the entire house off at the meter!

Well then, that is a problem! ;)

Harry Janssen
03-14-2013, 03:22 PM
I saw this yesterday. A gas grill in a fireplace. This is an early 60's home with a gas conversion in the fireplace. The damper was working and there wasn't an outside gas shutoff so this was a non-complying conversion.

But you can grill that steak on a cold snowy winter's evening in the comfort of your family room.28314I doubt there would be enough heat to cook a steak in that arrangement

Garry Sorrells
03-14-2013, 04:23 PM
I like rare please....

Alton Darty
03-19-2013, 03:15 PM
I doubt there would be enough heat to cook a steak in that arrangement

I have seen these or similar a couple of times. The grill portion in the units that I have seen actually had burners that appeared to be shortened versions of a gas grill burner mounted under the grilling surface. The units I checked actually seemed to put off enough heat to do a good job searing a steak.

Lon Henderson
03-20-2013, 06:22 AM
I doubt there would be enough heat to cook a steak in that arrangement

In this case, it appeared that the grill would cook just fine, but I didn't bring along a test T-bone to try it. :)