PDA

View Full Version : Kate from Boston

kate wi
03-15-2013, 05:57 AM
Hi, Guys!

I'm taking a home inspection class. I find this website a great source of information and support. There are few women inspectors, I know. Some women practically grew up in the business, but I'm not in that category. It's all new to me.

Raymond Wand
03-15-2013, 06:32 AM
Welcome to the forum Kate.

Welmoed Sisson
03-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Hi Kate! Greetings from one of the few female inspectors on this board! I'm relatively new to the business as well; I got my license in 2011; my husband started the company in 2003 and I went from doing office support to taking the training. I've gotten a few odd looks -- "YOU'RE the inspector?!?" -- but for the most part gender seems to be a non-issue, thank goodness. The only real "problem" I've come across is that I can't really wear my tools hanging from my belt, as they get "pushed out" by my hips. But it's a minor thing, and I've been working on designing a pair of pants that will have custom pockets to hold my basic equipment (flashlights, circuit tester, etc.).
I'm going to propose a get-together for female home inspectors at the next ASHI conference (Nashville, January 2014). In the meantime, good luck with your training!
--Welmoed

kate wi
03-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the 'Welcome'!
I realize there aren't many female house inspectors. Too bad, because it's an interesting profession.

Harry Janssen
03-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Welcome Kate.

Brian Hannigan
03-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Welcome Kate!

If we had enough women here I'd create a "Girls Club" private section.

Take care and I hope you enjoy the site.

Welmoed Sisson
03-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Welcome Kate!

If we had enough women here I'd create a "Girls Club" private section.

Build it and they will come!

Brian Hannigan
03-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Build it and they will come!

I will do that.

Scott Patterson
03-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Hi Kate! Greetings from one of the few female inspectors on this board! I'm relatively new to the business as well; I got my license in 2011; my husband started the company in 2003 and I went from doing office support to taking the training. I've gotten a few odd looks -- "YOU'RE the inspector?!?" -- but for the most part gender seems to be a non-issue, thank goodness. The only real "problem" I've come across is that I can't really wear my tools hanging from my belt, as they get "pushed out" by my hips. But it's a minor thing, and I've been working on designing a pair of pants that will have custom pockets to hold my basic equipment (flashlights, circuit tester, etc.).
I'm going to propose a get-together for female home inspectors at the next ASHI conference (Nashville, January 2014). In the meantime, good luck with your training!
--Welmoed

Look at the pants made by 511, they make great cargo type pants with more pockets than you will ever use.