PDA

View Full Version : WATER HEATER Unknown device installed in place of TPR valve.

Bill Anglin
03-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Never seen this type of install before but I'm sure someone probably has. I followed the galvenized pipe through the floor where it is connected to 3/4 inch black hose that is routed to the exterior side of the house. Total distance of approx 25ft and does not appear to be reduced. Thanks for the help.

Rick Cantrell
03-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Where is the TPR valve?

Raymond Wand
03-27-2013, 11:23 AM
The centre stainless steel braided hose appears to have a TPR connected at the end which connects to the galvanized line which drains to the rubber hose.

Incorrect set-up. The TPR valve should be on the top of the heater itself with the discharge tube within 6-12 inches of the floor and not routed to exterior.

Rick Cantrell
03-27-2013, 11:25 AM
The centre stainless steel braided hose appears to have a TPR connected at the end which connects to the galvanized line which drains to the rubber hose.

Incorrect set-up. The TPR valve should be on the top of the heater itself with the discharge tube within 6-12 inches of the floor and not routed to exterior.

I don't think that is TPR, I think it is only a pressure relief valve.
No lever on it.

Raymond Wand
03-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Yup, you are right!

John Kogel
03-27-2013, 12:09 PM
It is wrong. And I don't have any idea why the goof removed the TPRV that came with the tank, or simply replace it if it was faulty.
Any TPRV not mounted directly on the tank is suspect in my mind. The temperature probe needs to be in the tank.

If they bought the unit with a long extension, fine, but not usually the case when Mr Handy does his own plumbing.

In my area, that electrical supply cable needs to be in conduit, since that appears to be an accessible closet. Mickey Mouse wiring crossing over copper plumbing pipes. Galvanized supply pipes and a flag stored with the mops. Nice to see some plywood, there's my positive remark. :D

Rick Cantrell
03-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Bill
What does the note from Frank say? I can't quite read it.

Dom D'Agostino
03-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Bill
What does the note from Frank say? I can't quite read it.

It says:
"Hot Water Heater drained and electrical Disc."

John Kogel
03-27-2013, 08:21 PM
It says:
"Hot Water Heater drained and electrical Disc."
I think that makes it a cold water heater, in that case. :biggrin:

Scott Patterson
03-28-2013, 06:43 AM
I pretty sure that is an expansion relief valve (does the same thing as an expansion tank but it discharges the water) that goes on the cold water supply. The setup in the picture is a bomb.

Garry Sorrells
03-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Bill,
There are 2 lines carrying water away from heater, hot or otherwise.
1 line goes to exterior side of building as you stated in OP.
Where did the 2nd line go ? Bath on other side of wall ?

Would love to hear the rational of why he set it up this way. Didn't have a T fitting maybe and it was after the parts store was closed and Moma wanted a shower.

Larry Morrison
03-29-2013, 07:40 AM
28421Hello, Special delivery...

Corn Walker
03-31-2013, 06:38 AM
Sorry, but that's an American flag there, so that makes it all good in my book. That flag is there to remind inspectors about our God-given rights to build missiles like this in our homes.