PDA

View Full Version : DW screwed to stone counter top

John Arnold
03-30-2013, 10:09 AM
I think this is the first time I've seen a dishwasher screwed into a stone counter top. Usually it's not secured at all or it's fastened to the cabinets on the sides. Or, they try to epoxy or caulk the metal tabs to the stone.

Nick Ostrowski
03-30-2013, 10:31 AM
I see it from time to time John. But I see a lot of units that have play beneath the countertop because the installers used other less secure methods to install the unit. I think most of them don't want to take a chance on screwing up the granite counter.

Rick Cantrell
03-30-2013, 10:42 AM
I think most of them don't want to take a chance on screwing up the granite counter.
I can easily understand that.
I don't think I would. Thats what they make JB Weld for.

wayne soper
03-30-2013, 03:48 PM
looks like a good place for a carriage bolt to me:D

John Kogel
03-30-2013, 08:33 PM
John, What did you report?

1)The dishwasher installer appears to have screwed up. Screwing up may be an acceptable alternative to gluing up or screwing sideways. :biggrin:

2)The machine is well secured but it is an unconventional installation, so blah blah blah ......

3)I would be worried fatigue at those holes from vibration could lead to a crack sometime down the road. Move the brackets to the sides. No-brainer.

Robert Sole
04-02-2013, 05:18 PM
I think this is the first time I've seen a dishwasher screwed into a stone counter top. Usually it's not secured at all or it's fastened to the cabinets on the sides. Or, they try to epoxy or caulk the metal tabs to the stone.

I see them secured most of the time. The granite installer will drill a small hole and insert either a plastic anchor or a small piece of wood so a screw can be installed.

Lon Henderson
04-03-2013, 07:55 AM
I've seen it a couple of times, but sure looks like playing with fire. One little mistake and it looks like the installer could crack out a piece of the countertop. And it seems like the mere action of opening the DW door and loading and unloading, etc., could over time stress the holes and once again crack out the countertop edge.

Still, without evidence that those things could actually happen, I don't think there is any defect to write up.

Bob Kenney
05-31-2019, 04:58 AM
Here's a less exciting method to attach dishwasher to the stone countertop.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachment.php?attachmentid=34298&stc=1

Garry Sorrells
07-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Like most things. Don't do it if you don't know what you are doing.

It is not a problem to do, screw to granite countertop. It is about ability and experience. My first was in 1980, never had a failure or a problem on hundreds done.