PDA

View Full Version : Inspection and Repair

Mr Trent Alan Cox
03-31-2013, 10:06 AM
Hi,

I am a new member and my name is Trent Cox. Is their a conflict of interest if you are paid to repair deficiencies that were found in your inspection of a property?

Jack Feldmann
03-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Yes there is!

Harry Janssen
03-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Hi,

I am a new member and my name is Trent Cox. Is their a conflict of interest if you are paid to repair deficiencies that were found in your inspection of a property?Yes there is,it will be perceived that you are using the inspection to gain work.
Do the inspection,let others repair any issues you identified
Good luck

Welmoed Sisson
03-31-2013, 01:50 PM
Hi,

I am a new member and my name is Trent Cox. Is their a conflict of interest if you are paid to repair deficiencies that were found in your inspection of a property?

Absolutely. In Maryland and elsewhere you are not permitted to perform repairs on a property you have inspected for at least 12 months after the inspection date. We don't do ANY repairs... not even replacing a light bulb. That's not what we're hired to do.

Lon Henderson
03-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Trent, are you licensed in a state with licensing? I don't know of any state with licensing that allows HIs to perform work on a house that they have inspected (in some states, they can after one year).

Do you belong to one of the HI associations? The SoP of the "big three" don't allow you to correct for fee items that you found deficient during an association.

Join one of the HI associations. You'll learn some valuable things.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
03-31-2013, 07:05 PM
where in the good old usa are you --what state

cvf

Garry Sorrells
04-01-2013, 05:45 AM
Trent,

The basic problem is that there are those that do not have adequate morals and ethics. To protect the client most states/towns that regulate Home Inspections have choose to take the simple approach to resolve the problem of the unethical HI/Contractor by disallowing the Hi to perform repairs on their inspected properties for usually 1 year from date of inspection. 1 year may be just an arbitrary period, though it does allow the HI to return for the non critical repairs and alteration at a later date. But eliminating the benefit for siting/creating/promoting work that is posed in the report as requiring immediate remediation. So the HI will not make a mountain out of a mole hill, for personal profit Though many do for a variety of reasons, but that is a different discussion.

We have had those that will argue that a HI who is not making repairs of deficiencies, as reported in the inspection report, can perform work for the client during that first year without a conflict in the law or regulations. Splitting of the proverbial hair when dealing with the actual wording in the regulations.

It is interesting that there is little little done, in regulations, to restrict the potential collusion between Realtor and Home Inspector. But then look at who controls/influences the creation of most HI regulations.