PDA

View Full Version : crazy toilet

John Arnold
04-06-2013, 05:36 AM
I don't recall ever seeing crazing like this on a toilet. Any opinions?

Steven Turetsky
04-06-2013, 05:55 AM
I've seen this before, but don't have a real reason. Perhaps from expansion/contraction.

Jerry Peck
04-06-2013, 07:13 PM
I've seen this before, but don't have a real reason. Perhaps from expansion/contraction.

And over-tightening of the floor mounting bolts; could also be the floor is not level and there are point load contacts at the bottom of the toilet (but I'm thinking the over-tightening part is more likely); or may be bolted to a metal floor flange which is secured to a cast iron pipe and the pipe moves, this movement tries to flex a very rigid and brittle toilet. Just some more guesses to go along with those from Steven.

Regardless of the cause, it is time to replace that toilet. :D

Bob Harper
04-07-2013, 10:15 AM
The old floor rotted away from leaks so it was replaced and re-used. Also, I agree with overtightening the bolts although I usually see a chunk break off and not jigsaw puzzle the entire side. I usually see this on the left anatomical side of the toilet. This is due to right handed people leaning left to "do their paperwork", which puts great strain on that side flange. It is a leading cause of fracturing the closet flange, which leads to rotted floors. Maybe toilets should come with outriggers? ;-)

John Kogel
04-07-2013, 06:59 PM
The old floor rotted away from leaks so it was replaced and re-used. Also, I agree with overtightening the bolts although I usually see a chunk break off and not jigsaw puzzle the entire side. I usually see this on the left anatomical side of the toilet. This is due to right handed people leaning left to "do their paperwork", which puts great strain on that side flange. It is a leading cause of fracturing the closet flange, which leads to rotted floors. Maybe toilets should come with outriggers? ;-)Bob, I can tell you've devoted some indepth thought to this subject.

Right handed people really should learn to wipe with the left, eat and shake hands with the right.
:biggrin::biggrin:

Raw OSB under a cracked toilet, very nice.

Rick Cantrell
04-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Right handed people really should learn to wipe with the left, eat and shake hands with the right.
:biggrin::biggrin:

I'm right handed, but uh...well.. clean myself using my left.
I broke my right arm 13 years ago, and it's some what painful to bend my wrist ever since.

Matt Fletcher
04-07-2013, 08:09 PM
I see that pretty often in 100 year old houses. I see it in sinks, toilets and ceramic tiles in baths, fire-places and kitchens. I think it's age.

www.MIproperty.com (http://www.MIproperty.com)
Grosse Pointe Home Inspectors

Rod Butler
04-09-2013, 08:52 AM
The old floor rotted away from leaks so it was replaced and re-used. Also, I agree with overtightening the bolts although I usually see a chunk break off and not jigsaw puzzle the entire side. I usually see this on the left anatomical side of the toilet. This is due to right handed people leaning left to "do their paperwork", which puts great strain on that side flange. It is a leading cause of fracturing the closet flange, which leads to rotted floors. Maybe toilets should come with outriggers? ;-)

Interesting analogy Bob. I can see where you do your best thinking. :o

Steven Saville
04-09-2013, 12:06 PM

Only way to prevent this is to ride "Side Saddle" :bounce:

Robert
04-09-2013, 03:17 PM
I don't recall ever seeing crazing like this on a toilet. Any opinions?

All the overtightening options seem like good possibilities. My first thought when I saw the picture was that it looked like there was rust around the bolt. If a steel washer was used instead of brass, the thickening from rusting might add enough pressure to crack the porcelain. However the cracks don't seem to radiate out from the bolt.

Not sure what climate we're talking about, but I wonder if freezing might be the cause.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
04-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Internal crack bowl, intergal trap, etc. then bowl (re)filled, and introduction of toilet cleaner and/or dyed toilet freshner. Either fracture/defective when installed, abuse, or as Robert posted, freezing damage. Most often seen neck damage when installed by ill-equipped non-plumber in tight quarters, inappropriate use of snake instead of toilet auger or incorrect use of same, or failure to winterize properly or use of toilet after winterization followed by freezing temps. The introduction of water weight, use, and sno bowl, zud, bowl cleaner, or the like causes the crack pattern as the unglazed areas are saturated. The installation upon unsealed, unfinished, unsanitary, porous, and therefore unstable subflooring and subsequent use is a recipe for damage to water closet and waste plumbing.

Bob Harper
04-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Just wanted you guys to appreciate someone who works so diligently at studying how they handle their paperwork. ;-)

Actually, it is an insult to wave at Muslims with your left hand supposedly because that's their, uh, "special" hand...

As for technique, little girls are taught 'front to back' to prevent UTI's-never the reverse.

Personally, I'd like one of those high tech Japanese versions that mimic a car wash: Simonize, buffing wheels, fresh scent, etc.

I think this is getting too deep so I'm going to bail. You can thank me later ;-)

Billy Stephens
04-09-2013, 05:46 PM
You can thank me later ;-)

Thanks Bob!:smash::smash: