PDA

View Full Version : Electric next to gas regulator

Kevin Luce
10-02-2007, 06:55 PM
I would like to here your thoughts on this.

I was wondering if anyone writes up the 3 foot clearance from the gas regulator and any electrical connection that can ignite that gas. If you don't call it out, why not. It only makes sense to me that you do no want electric next to something that has the potential to release natural gas into the air.

Gas Meter Clearance
National Fuel Gas Code 54-5.7.2.3 “Gas meters shall be located at least 3 ft. from sources of ignition.” Ignition is considered anything that can ignite gas, such as electric motors, switches, outlets and most exhaust/vent terminations such as furnace and/or dryer vent. 3 foot clearance also applies to windows that can be opened and/or crawlspace vents.

John Arnold
10-03-2007, 05:33 AM
There's a pretty good thread about this subject in the archives:
Gas meter at panel - Home Inspection & Home Inspector Services For Inspections and Inspectors (http://www.inspectionnews.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001155.html)

David Banks
10-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Kevin. In past threads most all agree you should call out AC compressor units within 3 feet of regulator on gas meter.

Rick Hurst
10-03-2007, 03:15 PM
So I assume this would be a violation of that 3 ft. rule. Its amazing to come back to the office and see a thread on something that you found that same day on the job.

rick

Kevin Luce
10-03-2007, 07:00 PM
The Local gas company (NIPSCO) has isolated themselves. Around three years ago, I could have called and customer service would send an email to the appropriate person and that person would call back. Now all you can do is talk to customer service only. I talked to town inspectors and even though they have direct numbers, they find themselves not being able to talk to the person that can answer any questions they have. Sad if you ask me.

The picture below is how it was explained by NIPSCO which I think make the most sense.