PDA

View Full Version : Ice & H2O vs ODE

Ross Neag
10-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Neighbor had her roof torn off and reshingled past couple of days. I, of course, volunteer to look at the work. Valleys all cut correctly, solar seal on exposed heads, kickouts on chimney flashing...but this I don't understand? Can a 1/2" of ice & water shield replace ODE? I flagged it for her, provided I'm correct. Would also have been nice to see a small bend in the ridge side chimney flashing to get water from pooling.

Jerry Peck
10-03-2007, 07:47 PM
You need some drip edge, and there's some rodents/birds living in the space below the sheathing and the fascia.

How did they attach that gutter support from the underside of the sheathing?

That chimney flashing is going to leak around that caulked in top edge.

With that chimney at the ridge like that, and being that narrow, no cricket needed. Not much water will be collecting there.

Ross Neag
10-03-2007, 09:32 PM
JP,

I'm also baffled how they would let it fly, esp when the roofer tore off 4 layers and shot new plywood over old decking (1892 house). How hard is it to break 10-15' of new fascia and tell the customer you have their best interests in mind as you hand them a birds nest? They will cough up the $ everytime, especially when you have a digital camera and show them!