PDA

View Full Version : Boiler Circulation Pump

Jim Robinson
04-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Did something change in our electrical / mechanical codes requiring protection for the cable to the boiler circulating pump? I've seen this 3 times in the past few weeks, where I would normally see type MC cable.

Jim Robinson
04-26-2013, 05:01 PM
I saw another one today. Anyone have an idea? I don't mind calling out stuff even if it's just a good idea, but I hate to look like a clown if the electrician comes back to me.

Raymond Wand
04-26-2013, 05:22 PM
Jim

It all depends on what the manufacture instructions/manual require.

However I did see what appears to be a kink/cut/damage on the cord just done from the motor.

Rich Goeken
04-29-2013, 05:08 AM
I had an experience where a oil-fired furnace and a oil-fired HW heater where each had a loop of Romex instead of MC. When I questioned the local inspector he said that protection was not required as it was only a residence and not a commercial installation. Go figure. Was there any inspection performed on the installations?

Mike Kleisch
04-29-2013, 08:03 AM
That looks like UF and under the 2011 NEC Art. 340, UF is installed as nonmetallic-sheathed cable. IMO, you could not wire it this way per the NEC, no protection from damage, looks like it just hangs down unsecured, does not follow any building structure, and just looks like sloppy work.

Jerry Peck
04-29-2013, 05:45 PM
That looks like UF and under the 2011 NEC Art. 340, UF is installed as nonmetallic-sheathed cable. IMO, you could not wire it this way per the NEC, no protection from damage, looks like it just hangs down unsecured, does not follow any building structure, and just looks like sloppy work.

I think that is an "appliance cord", whether or not it is approved for installation on that pump (the pump would need to be listed for cord and plug installation) is not known - some of those pumps are, others are not.