PDA

View Full Version : Water Heater Knocking When Toilet Flushed

Mike Lamb
05-10-2013, 08:10 PM
A one bathroom ranch on a slab. This knocking sounds like it is coming from the water heater and only happens when I flush the toilet, not when I run other fixtures.

???

https://www.youtube.com/v/WPntL4XrPBI

Raymond Wand
05-11-2013, 03:50 AM
Its likely a bad valve on the fill mechanism of the toilet. The diaphragm could be resonating due to water pressure, thus the noise.

Did you try closing down the shut off valve to see if it affected the noise.

Darrel Hood
05-11-2013, 04:35 AM
This description also raises the possibility that the toilet is using hot water. If so, there is an opportunity to save a little money.

Steven Turetsky
05-11-2013, 06:49 AM
A one bathroom ranch on a slab. This knocking sounds like it is coming from the water heater and only happens when I flush the toilet, not when I run other fixtures.

???

https://www.youtube.com/v/WPntL4XrPBI

Change your diet.

Mike Lamb
05-11-2013, 01:09 PM
A hot water feed to the toilet makes sense. I never felt the tank to see.

Ray Babcock
05-14-2013, 09:17 AM
A hot water feed to the toilet makes sense. I never felt the tank to see.
I've come across this noise when the water shut off valve is not opened competely. Also some homes don't have water hammer chambers.

Mike Lamb
05-14-2013, 05:38 PM
A gentleman at The Inspectors Journal suggested that it is likely the ball in the WH heat trap knocking around when there is a slow water feed from the WH tank to the toilet.

Ray Babcock
05-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Down here in the south we plumb the toilet with the cold water supply. Is there a reason to run a hot water pipe to a toilet?

Mike Lamb
05-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Down here in the south we plumb the toilet with the cold water supply. Is there a reason to run a hot water pipe to a toilet?

It's not common but it can stop toilet sweat and I have been tempted to do it to a bathroom at a summer home I have in Michigan. The condensation can be a real mess.

Raymond Wand
05-15-2013, 03:56 AM
It would be easier to switch the toilet out for a new one with a lined tank. Why pay to heat water to stop sweating?