PDA

View Full Version : flex gas connector in cabinet

John Arnold
05-14-2013, 01:01 PM
I've never understood how this could be acceptable/legal. Are those connectors really so tough they can be banged around every time someone gets a pot or pan, or puts one back?
Oh wait, I see there's a fire extinguisher handy. Never mind.

Jerry Peck
05-14-2013, 02:39 PM
You did notice the fire extinguisher kept right there at the ready, right? :)

Jim Warters
05-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Is this for a gas cook top? :confused:

John Arnold
05-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Is this for a gas cook top? :confused:

It is.

Jim Warters
05-17-2013, 12:45 PM
It is.
Too much trouble I guess to extend the black iron and shorten the flexible connection and perhaps even box in or otherwise protect the gas line. Maybe all they make for meals is reservations?

John Arnold
05-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Too much trouble I guess to extend the black iron and shorten the flexible connection and perhaps even box in or otherwise protect the gas line. Maybe all they make for meals is reservations?

Can't box in the connector, is my understanding. Can't be hidden. Maybe it could be partially boxed in?

Jim Warters
05-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Can't box in the connector, is my understanding. Can't be hidden. Maybe it could be partially boxed in?
Yeah - I should have clarified that I didn't mean a permanent, fixed concealment, but I have seen other posts suggesting use of an inspection panel. My thought was to protect from mechanical damage while still allowing replacement / inspection. Properly constructed, it shouldn't run afoul of prohibitions against concealing within walls, floors, partitions, etc. Undoubtedly there is a gas code expert who can answer the question!

Steve Dillin
05-20-2013, 03:15 PM
I see this often and note in the report that "the appliance connector is subject to physical damage and needs protection from stored items" then call out ..... licensed general contractor for further evaluation.
Or maybe a sign on the shelves "for tupperware only"!
Onward through the fog .........

Steve
A1 NorCal

Bob Harper
05-20-2013, 03:20 PM
This is an easy fix. You pull the range top, extend the 1/2" NPT up near the counter then ell so the gas cock is clear but accessible for inspection, leak testing or turning a wrench. Then you can run a 12" flex connector to the range top, drop it back in and Bob's Your Uncle.

No, it should not be exposed to battle damage as this one is.

Maybe recommend gluing a Jiffy Pop to the counter top. When it begins popping, you know its on fire below...

Frazier Jeffery
05-20-2013, 09:02 PM
This is an easy fix. You pull the range top, extend the 1/2" NPT up near the counter then ell so the gas cock is clear but accessible for inspection, leak testing or turning a wrench. Then you can run a 12" flex connector to the range top, drop it back in and Bob's Your Uncle.

No, it should not be exposed to battle damage as this one is.

Maybe recommend gluing a Jiffy Pop to the counter top. When it begins popping, you know its on fire below...
The gas flex is allowed next thing you will ask if you need a seat belt in the dental chair

Bob Harper
05-21-2013, 09:24 PM
The gas flex is allowed next thing you will ask if you need a seat belt in the dental chair

Cute wisecrack. Have you ever read the mfrs. instructions? How about the part where it says to protect the flex from contact with foreign objects including metals because they are worried about corrosion. Have you ever hit a gas flex connector on the outside of a radius bend and seen it crack leaking gas?

FYI, my dentist needs 4 point leather restraints to keep my wife from bolting out of there.