PDA

View Full Version : Outlet spacing along glass wall?

JoeVSmith
06-06-2013, 10:01 AM
What are the requirements for outlets along a wall that is floor to ceiling glass(residential). I know the 6'/12' rule for wall but am not sure how this applies to glass walls.

Thanks Joe

Scott Patterson
06-06-2013, 01:54 PM
What are the requirements for outlets along a wall that is floor to ceiling glass(residential). I know the 6'/12' rule for wall but am not sure how this applies to glass walls.

Thanks Joe

You need to ask the AHJ in your specific area as to what they want. What is written and what the real person might want to see can be two different things.... Best to get it from the horses mouth!

JoeVSmith
06-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Thanks will do.

Jim Luttrall
06-06-2013, 05:11 PM
What Scott said, but a wall is a wall same rules apply. You may need a floor receptacle outlet if putting it in the wall will not work.

Garry Sorrells
06-06-2013, 06:02 PM
My experience is that I see floor outlets. To build a wall that is glass I would put in floor outlets. Just makes it nicer if you need an outlet, if nothing else.

Alain Charron
06-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Just going from memory from my electrical course, the rule does not apply where there are windows... at least here in Ontario. A receptacle is required every 12 feet of wall, excluding under windows.

Like I said, going from memory only... I might be wrong.

Jerry Peck
06-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Just going from memory from my electrical course, the rule does not apply where there are windows... at least here in Ontario. A receptacle is required every 12 feet of wall, excluding under windows.

Like I said, going from memory only... I might be wrong.

Well ... he does have "ca" as his location ... but is that for Canada or for California?

The NEC requires that spacing at walls, if the glass is fixed in place then receptacles would be required, but could be floor receptacles. If the glass is operable, like a sliding glass door, then no receptacle would be required.

Alain Charron
06-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Well ... he does have "ca" as his location ... but is that for Canada or for California?

The NEC requires that spacing at walls, if the glass is fixed in place then receptacles would be required, but could be floor receptacles. If the glass is operable, like a sliding glass door, then no receptacle would be required.

That is ca for Canada... I did mention that I was from Ontario...

Ian Page
06-07-2013, 11:22 PM
That is ca for Canada... I did mention that I was from Ontario...

Ontario, San Bernardino Co, California
Founded 1891, 50 sq. miles, population 166,000, about 35 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.

Frazier Jeffery
06-08-2013, 07:46 AM
My experience is that I see floor outlets. To build a wall that is glass I would put in floor outlets. Just makes it nicer if you need an outlet, if nothing else.
Floor outlets to be counted in the calcs for wall spacing must be within 18 inches of the wall

- - - Updated - - -

Floor outlets to be counted in the calcs for wall spacing must be within 18 inches of the wall

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

bob smit
06-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Just an additional note: The fixed portion (non-sliding pane) of a sliding door or door wall is also 'wall space' to be included in the 6' - 12' & 2' rule.