PDA

View Full Version : Painted Air handler coils

william siegel
06-08-2013, 04:47 AM
Why would anyone paint the air handler coils? 2006 townhome. No evidence of Chinese Drywall anywhere in the unit. These coils look to be original. The copper portion they did not paint was not tarnished.

Steven Turetsky
06-08-2013, 05:27 AM
... lipstick on a pig.

Jerry Peck
06-08-2013, 06:41 AM
Maybe it was cooling too well and instead of thinking of turning the thermostat down they lowered the amount of heat transfer the coil will provide?

While that may seem dumb on the surface, it would take a smart person to think of lower the heat transfer by painting the coil ... :bounce:

H.G. Watson, Sr.
06-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Why would anyone paint the air handler coils? 2006 townhome. No evidence of Chinese Drywall anywhere in the unit. These coils look to be original. The copper portion they did not paint was not tarnished.

Less-than-professional smoke/fire remediation or water/mould remediation (or REO/flipper) painting crew perhaps. Any clues behind insulation, behind register covers, outlet plates, attic, removable window sashes, etc.? Checking call reports (F.D. & P.D.), permits & CLUE Reports by the interested contract purchaser might be a good idea.

Garry Sorrells
06-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Painted to hide RUST or slow down the oxidation/rusting. They were after the steel and were carried away in a beautification process. Enlarge the pict and look at lower half of picture.

Don't think it was to put something over on anyone. Just an attempt to get a little more time out the equipment.

Rod Butler
06-10-2013, 07:04 AM
I noticed you are in FLA. Near the coast?

Sometimes a coating is applied to coils to protect from salt in the air. Does it appear to be done by a DIY'er or is it factory?

william siegel
06-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Unfortunately we will never know the answer. This was a foreclosure.

Michael Chambers
06-10-2013, 09:39 PM
I noticed you are in FLA. Near the coast?

Sometimes a coating is applied to coils to protect from salt in the air. Does it appear to be done by a DIY'er or is it factory?

Looks awfully sloppy for OEM work. My guess is that it was done by the same person that put all the heavy grease on the garage's overhead door guide rails. ;)