PDA

View Full Version : call for replacement and list other problems?

Matt Fellman
06-14-2013, 11:11 AM
This one comes up a lot in different areas but the one fresh in my mind from today is on a FPE panel. I call for replacement, do I then note the missing knockouts, missing screws in the panel cover, etc.?

I think I've gone back and forth over the years. I'm leaning towards not saying anything other than replacement since once I start listing other repairs it's almost leaving the possibility open that it won't just be replaced.

Steven Turetsky
06-14-2013, 04:27 PM
This one comes up a lot in different areas but the one fresh in my mind from today is on a FPE panel. I call for replacement, do I then note the missing knockouts, missing screws in the panel cover, etc.?

I think I've gone back and forth over the years. I'm leaning towards not saying anything other than replacement since once I start listing other repairs it's almost leaving the possibility open that it won't just be replaced.

Even though I agree with you, and always call out FPEs; I would include everything.

Brian Handy
06-17-2013, 01:50 AM
I agree with Steven, I call all of it. If they don't choose to replace the panel, they still have a hazard with an opening (knock-out missing) in the panel or sharp ended screws etc. Better safe than sorry.

John Kogel
06-17-2013, 10:27 AM
A list of defects gets their attention.
"Have a qualified and competent electrician ....."
Let them know this is serious and beyond the scope of a handyman, and also, there could be more problems here than what was discovered in the short time of a home inspection.

Michael Chambers
06-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Absolutely list every type of problem you observe. That just reinforces your recommendation that the electrical system needs to be looked at by a licensed electrician.