PDA

View Full Version : Gable end bracing

Wade Johnson
10-08-2007, 08:47 AM
What is the minimum gable end bracing in accordance with the 2001 Florida building code?
Thanks in advance.

Jerry Peck
10-08-2007, 09:16 AM
What is the minimum gable end bracing in accordance with the 2001 Florida building code?
Thanks in advance.

Wade,

If your profile showed where you were, I might not have to ask this question: Where in Florida? Miami-Dade County and Broward County are in what is called the HVHZ (High Velocity Hurricane Zone) and would have more stringent requirements than elsewhere in the state (as though hurricanes never hit the Panhandle, never cross the state, etc. ;) ).

Wade Johnson
10-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Brevard County.

Billy Stephens
10-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Wade,

If you Edit Profile in the User CP section at the top of the page your location will automaticly show up on the right side of your post. :)

Jerry Peck
10-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Wade,

This is all the FBC (which is referenced by the FRC) says about gable ends outside the HVHZ:

2304.3.4 Gable endwalls.
- 2304.3.4.1 General.
- - Gable endwalls shall be structurally continuous between points of lateral support.
- 2304.3.4.2 Cathedral endwalls.
- - Gable endwalls adjacent to cathedral ceilings shall be structurally continuous from the uppermost floor to the ceiling diaphragm or to the roof diaphragm.
- 2304.3.4.3 Full height studs.
- - Full height studs may be sized using the bracing at a ceiling diaphragm for determining stud length requirements.

It also states that if it complies with Chapter 23 Wood, HVHZ requirements, that it is deemed to comply with the less stringent code section.

SECTION 2318
- HIGH-VELOCITY HURRICANE ZONE — VERTICAL FRAMING
- - 2318.1.8 Framing types.
- - - - Wood framing may be any one, or a combination of, the following types: platform, balloon, plank and beam or pole type.
- - - - - Exterior stud walls of two-story buildings shall be balloon-framed with studs continuous from foundation to second floor ceiling and with second floor joists supported as indicated in Section 2319.3.3. Gable end walls in wood frame buildings shall be balloon framed with studs continuous from foundation to roof.
- - - - - - Exception: Platform framing is allowed in buildings over one story in height provided an additional mandatory inspection for floor level connectors is made before the framing/firestopping inspection. Gable end walls shall be balloon framed with studs continuous from top floor to roof.

When is the last time you've seen anything balloon framed? Never?

Oh, and where gable end trusses are allowed in the HVHZ? Them and their anchorage and support must be designed by an engineer.

So, after reading up on this, I guess my answer to "What is the minimum gable end bracing in accordance with the 2001 Florida building code" should have been: Whatever the engineer designed.

End side note :o - I just remembered you stated 2001 FBC, not the 2004, so now I get to go back and look again. :(

Added with edit - The 2001 FBC says basically the same exact thing. :D

Wade Johnson
10-10-2007, 04:59 AM
Thank you!!!