PDA

View Full Version : Siemens breakers in Sqare D panel ill fitting

mark petty
07-10-2013, 11:59 AM
1991 home with Square D panel - has three Siemens breakers that are a little ill fitting. Would the Siemens be compatible in a Square D panel. Thanks

Jack Wingo
07-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Mark,
You will find this condition on older service panel, normally when AC is replaced, pool addition, or other modifications that require a breaker to be added or changed. Rather than plan ahead to make sure they have the correct breaker, they grab whatever breaker they have in their truck. Whatever the cause it is not OK and does not meet code. If you look at the manufacturer label it will list what breakers are acceptible, which will be only their breakers. Below is verbage in my report:

Incompatible breakers are noted, normally, when an electrical panel manufacturer have their panel tested for UL approval, the test will be conducted using only the manufacturer's breaker. For this reason, the manufacturer will advise that only their breakers should be used in their panel. Industry standards require that equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling. Several other brand breakers have been installed and therefore does not meet industry standards.

1997 National Electrical Code 110-3 (b) Listed and labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

Jim Port
07-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Siemens QD. They are UL classified for use in SQD QO panels.29111

That would be fine, except the panel shown is a Square D Homeline.

Rollie Meyers
07-13-2013, 09:24 PM
The link shown is for Eaton products, not Siemens.

Ken Rowe
07-13-2013, 10:06 PM
The link shown is for Eaton products, not Siemens.

Read past the first page of the pdf.

Rollie Meyers
07-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Read past the first page of the pdf.

Still a list of Eaton products classified for other makes, CHQ is the Eaton/Cutler-Hammer classified replacement for SQ D QO. I cannot think of what Siemens calls their UL classified QO replacement, but would love to see a list, if any, of Siemens breakers classified for other makes, SQ D Homeline is not classified for any other makes.

Roland Miller
07-14-2013, 08:51 AM
That would be fine, except the panel shown is a Square D Homeline.

My BAD! I missed that. Definitely won't work in a Homeline loadcenter.