PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling Joist and Rafter connection

Jim Luttrall
10-09-2007, 02:36 PM
I just did a pre-drywall inspection and came away shaking my head. There was not a ceiling joist tied to a rafter or any substitute such as metal straps anywhere in the structure. Are any of the guys in the Dallas area having this sort of thing on the bigger homes? This was one of the roofs with multiple hip/valleys and sloped ceilings in the upstairs bedrooms, etc. Actually the workmanship was pretty fair on most of the framing, but very poorly designed for any resistance to rafter thrust. Just wanting to compare notes, I have already called for an engineer to get involved.
Thanks, Jim

Eric Barker
10-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Jim, I'll assume that there is no structural beam at the ridge. Load transfer is always a consideration for me and if something seems lacking then I question it. For some reason, I have noticed that when a poorly framed home reaches 25 - 30 years the signed of sagging/deflected framing begins to become apparent. If I have a situation where a condition is in question, and I cannot satisfy my concern, then I report it is such. For example, "Could not confirm proper fastening of joist/rafter junctions."

Of course I really want to be sure such a statement is warranted and that I haven't missed something before I write a comment like that.

BARRY ADAIR
10-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Jim,
Any pix?

Jim Luttrall
10-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Barry, I took 154 photos and did not get one good shot to show any perspective. The multi-level ceiling and chopped up roof made it nearly impossible to trace any load path while I was there in person much less get a good shot for my report. I will look through and see if I can piece enough together to post here.
Jim

Jim Luttrall
10-09-2007, 05:42 PM
See if you can make this out, as I said earlier, I could not get any really clear shots.
The last shot looking down at my feet shows the end of the stiff back over the garage from the previous shot that stops at the perpendicular ceiling joist, the entire gable end wall and the roof up over the second story has nothing to resist rafter thrust.
Also, Notice the beam in the right of the third shot, I could not see any adequate provision to keep the beam from rotating and kicking the 2x4 legs out. Am I just paranoid?
Jim

Eric Barker
10-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Rotation certainly a possibility. Also, look where they transfer the load to - a doubled top plate with no support directly underneath.

Rick Hurst
10-09-2007, 06:58 PM
No collar ties either.

For reference about the other photo.

BARRY ADAIR
10-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Jim, good call

yo no entiendo para mÃ* corregirlo costó más dinero