PDA

View Full Version : What's this device

Dennis R
10-10-2007, 08:42 AM
The pipe leading from the vacuum breaker valve on a gas fired water heater went into this device and back out. The wires coming out lead to the burner.
I'm guessing that the burner shuts off if water is detected.

Dom D'Agostino
10-10-2007, 08:49 AM
That's a WAGS valve, Water & Gas shut off. Clever device, very smart to have installed.

Read more here:

WAGS (http://www.wagsvalve.com/index.html)

Richard Rushing
10-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Dom's got it... both water and gas shut-off if a leak is detected.

rr

Jim Luttrall
10-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Why would you have a vacuum breaker valve at a water heater?

vacuum breaker valve

I would imagine the cold water main line to the heater would be routed thru the valve and then to the heater inlet.
If this was on the TPR valve it is wrong, wrong, wrong.
Please help me out here, the site posted By Dom gives a good description but no installation instructions that I could find.
Looks like a good product if installed properly.

Rick Hurst
10-10-2007, 09:19 AM
When a emergency drain pan cannot have a drain line routed to the exterior, the "WAGS" valve can be installed to shut down the water inlet to the tank. They should not be installed to the T&P as Jim said.

They are rather expensive but the damages they can prevent would pay for the installation. I had them installed on both of my attic water heaters only to try and prevent damages when they do leak. ALL water heaters eventually leak.

Once the sensor on the valve becomes wet though, it is my understanding the whole valve has to be replaced.

rick

Dom D'Agostino
10-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Please help me out here, the site posted By Dom gives a good description but no installation instructions that I could find.
Looks like a good product if installed properly.

Install instructions are here:

Installation Diagrams (http://www.wagsvalve.com/installation.html)

Jim Luttrall
10-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I noticed the instructions said "a vacuum breaker or expansion tank should be installed..."
Expansion tank I understand, somebody tell me what purpose (other than to break the vaccum:rolleyes: ) a vacuum breaker would serve in a water heater installation.
Thanks, Jim

Rick Hurst
10-10-2007, 03:34 PM
From their site:

The Watts N36-M1 Vacuum Relief Valve permits air to enter and prevent vacuum conditions that could siphon the water from the system, resulting in collapse of a tank or water heater or equipment burn out.

Jim Luttrall
10-10-2007, 04:32 PM
The Watts N36-M1 Vacuum Relief Valve permits air to enter and prevent vacuum conditions that could siphon the water from the system, resulting in collapse of a tank or water heater or equipment burn out.

I always thought air in a tank was a bad thing... now I know, allowing air into a tank keeps it from burning out;)
I can see maybe the collapse of a tank in a high rise or some special situations, but this is a new one on me.