PDA

View Full Version : Different sized furnace vent pipe segments

Clay White
10-11-2007, 11:51 AM

Billy Stephens
10-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Clay,

The size of the SW Vent doesn't bother me the distance to combustibles does.

Also I can't see any screws to connect B1 to SW Vent.

Appears be water stained by SW Vent patched? Active Leak?

Jon Randolph
10-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Looks like a single wall vent going through the ceiling. I would be concerned about clearance to combustibles.

Billy Stephens
10-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Clay,

The size of the SW Vent doesn't bother me the distance to combustibles does.

Looks like a single wall vent going through the ceiling. I would be concerned about clearance to combustibles.

Jon, ?? :confused:

Jon Randolph
10-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Sorry,

I looked at the pic and read the original post but I guess that I didn't see your comment.

We need an icon to designate "foot in mouth"

Eric Barker
10-12-2007, 07:04 AM
The section that runs into the ceiling is a B-vent. In our area of N. Illinois condensation formation is a very frequent occurrence and I suspect that this installation would lead to problems if installed here.

I think that it's warranted to question this installation. The problem is that the contractor may have no understanding of your reasoning is.

Billy Stephens
10-12-2007, 07:12 AM
The section that runs into the ceiling is a B-vent.

Vent is still too close to combustibles.

buddy brault
10-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Hey Clay, I agree with Eric on the b vent through ceiling. I do not see any connection between the vent increaser and the existing vent. I looks like tabs on b vent so there should be a snap ring. Screws would be ok provided they don't penetrate the inner wall of the vent. Also would also need 1" clearance around. By the way does the furnace have a draft inducer motor?

Byron Lentz
10-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Yes it is a problem; the vent system is designed to flow at the size of the outlet of the combustion chamber. And yes condensation will likely form and run back down to the combustion chamber. I also am a HVAC contractor and this type of set up has made me money before.