PDA

View Full Version : Asbestos ciment siding ??

Christian Tag
08-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Hi guys, I need your help on this one !

Could you tell me if thats Asbestos ciment siding ? Ive been told that it looks like cedar siding so I don't wanna flag it in the report if I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help

Mike Lamb
08-18-2013, 07:48 PM
That stuff looks pretty sweet. Too new looking for asbestos. How about a GAF Profile fiber cement siding?

Next time stick a utility knife in it. You will get a better idea of what it is or isn't.

Christian Tag
08-18-2013, 08:03 PM
That stuff looks pretty sweet. Too new looking for asbestos. How about a GAF Profile fiber cement siding?

Next time stick a utility knife in it. You will get a better idea of what it is or isn't.

It was repainted recently, it's a 1962 house... here is a picture of the original siding in the garage (you see it on the left).

Thanks again

Jim Robinson
08-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Who told you that it looked like cedar siding? That's kind of funny. That doesn't look anything like cedar. Looks an awful lot like all of the asbestos siding here in my town. There are some companies that make a replacement siding, but if it was built in 1962, the odds on that product being asbestos is very high.

Rick Cantrell
08-19-2013, 12:06 AM
That is most likely siding that contains asbestos.
But asbestos siding is basically a non issue
There is friable asbestos, such as insulation, which is a health concern.
And there is Non-friable asbestos, such as this siding which is not a health concern.

Darren Miller
08-19-2013, 02:15 AM
That is most likely siding that contains asbestos.
But asbestos siding is basically a non issue
There is friable asbestos, such as insulation, which is a health concern.
And there is Non-friable asbestos, such as this siding which is not a health concern.

I agree with all of the above, but we still want to tell the client exactly what they are purchasing, correct?

Raymond Wand
08-19-2013, 04:48 AM
Caveat

Do not cut or sand the siding. It there is asbestos, cutting or sanding can release fibres.

Of course you can always recommend testing.

Rick Cantrell
08-19-2013, 05:31 AM
I agree with all of the above, but we still want to tell the client exactly what they are purchasing, correct?

Yes, just as you would with any other siding; brick, stucco, EIFS, vinyl,...
And as with EIFS or vinyl, you may have a commentary providing additional information.

I just wanted to point out that having this type of siding is not a defect, and it is not a health hazard, and therefore is not a reportable condition other than FYI.

Mark Reinmiller
08-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Hi guys, I need your help on this one !

Could you tell me if thats Asbestos ciment siding ? Ive been told that it looks like cedar siding so I don't wanna flag it in the report if I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help

Sure looks like asbestos cement. There is a cedar siding that came in panels of about the same size as asbestos cement. The stuff I have seen it quite a bit thicker and has more pronounced grooves and a more uneven surface. Does not look anything like that.