PDA

View Full Version : Routing of Condesate Drain

Ben Caras
08-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Hey everyone. I live in a top floor apartment in Los Angeles County, California where the condensate drain is routed to the bathroom sink and taps into the drain before the trap. This is a violation of the IRC. Can anyone help me understand why this would have passed inspection and what the reasoning is for this restriction within the IRC. Also, are there potential hazards (fumes, others, etc...) to the inhabitants of the apartment?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim Luttrall
08-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Hey everyone. I live in a top floor apartment in Los Angeles County, California where the condensate drain is routed to the bathroom sink and taps into the drain before the trap. This is a violation of the IRC. Can anyone help me understand why this would have passed inspection and what the reasoning is for this restriction within the IRC. Also, are there potential hazards (fumes, others, etc...) to the inhabitants of the apartment?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm not saying it is right, but that is the standard approved method here. 29267

James Kollhopp
08-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Does the condensate drain have a trap? Recommend trap in condensate drain pipe.

Ben Caras
08-22-2013, 11:45 AM
No trap exists at the condensate drain itself.

James Kollhopp
08-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Needs a trap.

Jim Robinson
08-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Does it use a pump, or does it drain by gravity to the sink? Got any photos that you can post?