PDA

View Full Version : Vault construction details

Rick Cantrell
09-14-2013, 06:07 PM
I have searched the internet but have not found what I am looking for.
Do any of you know the construction requirements for underground vaults for utility companies.
In particular:
Is a Drain required?

H.G. Watson, Sr.
09-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Do any of you know the construction requirements for underground vaults for utility companies.
In particular:
Is a Drain required?

It Depends. (presuming this isn't a POCO building/facility).

Inside or outside the building.

The total KVA transformer capacity in the vault. The nominal voltage.

Type of transformer(s) in the vault.

Local conditions & practicality

NESC + NEC +Local Requirements (POCO & AHJ) + Insurance (Bldg) underwriting requirements

Pre 2002 NEC article was 450 plus requirements in NESC.

Some good (but dated) stuff on ecmweb dot com.

Here's a link to a searched list of reading materials some of which you may find informative:

Search | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine (http://ecmweb.com/search/results/knowing%20liquid%20filled%20transformer%20installa tion%20requirements)

HTH

Rich Goeken
09-21-2013, 05:32 AM
In particular:
Is a Drain required?

A quick solution is to get friendly with the local power company engineering department. They will be happy that someone wants to talk to them about their job, and they will give you their requirements for vaults with a lot of background information. After all, if they don't like it---they won''t use it. :)

Sometimes it's easier to ask someone that uses or does whatever, then to reinvent the wheel yourself.

William Cline
09-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Here in central California the vault is the jurisdiction of PG&E which has it's own code. Here the green book. They have always provided me a copy when I have needed it. Call the local utility.