PDA

View Full Version : Roof has a little moss growth on the north side

Trent Tarter
09-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Today's inspection. This is most significant moss growth I have found in a long time. I'm located in eastern Washington (the dry and sunny side of the state). This place was not shaded or located up in the mountains.

Gunnar Alquist
09-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Today's inspection. This is most significant moss growth I have found in a long time. I'm located in eastern Washington (the dry and sunny side of the state). This place was not shaded or located up in the mountains.

Trent,

Are you sure it wasn't a sod roof that hasn't been watered in a while? :cool:

Trent Tarter
09-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Trent,

Are you sure it wasn't a sod roof that hasn't been watered in a while? :cool:

It's a 3-tab shingle on a gable roof.

Chris Weekly
09-17-2013, 12:03 AM
Roof has a little moss growth on the north side

Great shot of the roof.
how old was the roof...or the house?
what about the south side of the roof? Got a comparison picture?

Raymond Wand
09-17-2013, 03:38 AM
Never seen asphalt shingles with moss growth that extensive. If you had not stated it was three tab I would have called this out as a wood shingle roof.

Trent Tarter
09-17-2013, 07:08 AM
Here's a few more picks, one is on the south side. You get an idea that the roof is probably at least 30+ years old. Home is a 1915 built Craftsman in distressed condition.

Rick Cantrell
09-18-2013, 06:10 AM
I visited Ireland a few years ago.
ALL roofs are covered just like that.
The tour guild said roofs last 40+ years.
If that's true, where can I get some moss for my roof?:D

James Kollhopp
09-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Nice... One of those "green roof systems". Needs some water.

John Kogel
09-19-2013, 07:48 PM
I visited Ireland a few years ago.
ALL roofs are covered just like that.
The tour guild said roofs last 40+ years.
If that's true, where can I get some moss for my roof?Rick, as you know, those Irish roofs are probably slate, and they probably only need a few repairs after 40 years.

Moss on the roof is a serious problem here. It holds moisture and debris and that just leads to trouble. Powerwashing by demossing contractors does even worse damage.:(

Peter Louis
09-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Well. time to replace the roof. Why bother the moss?

don agel
09-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Today's inspection. This is most significant moss growth I have found in a long time. I'm located in eastern Washington (the dry and sunny side of the state). This place was not shaded or located up in the mountains. Do you refer this one to a licensed roofing contractor or a licensed landscaper? lol

David Caldwell
09-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Awesome pictures! I wonder what the ceilings looked like on the inside.

Frank Norman
09-28-2013, 09:32 PM
You can tell it's Eastern WA because the moss is brown. In Western WA or SouthWest BC it would be green. Quite a few similarly mossy roofs around here in older residential areas but almost always on garages and sheds, not houses.

don agel
09-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Awesome pictures! I wonder what the ceilings looked like on the inside.

Guess that would depend on the amount of rain and how fast the moss can absorb it. ;)