PDA

View Full Version : Copper coil in basement

John Arnold
09-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Water hammer device?

- - - Updated - - -

What's that video doing on my post, and how do I get rid of it?
Ok, now it's something else. Has it come to this?

Rick Cantrell
09-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Water hammer device?

Just a guess, but I agree, it is likely some sort of water hammer.

Yes, " it has come to this?"
Be thankful we are not forced to watch a video before we can read the post.

Mark Reinmiller
09-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Water hammer device?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. My answer was apparently short by 2 characters.

Claude Lawrenson
09-20-2013, 05:01 AM
Yes. My answer was apparently short by 2 characters.

Copper coil heat exchanger - https://www.google.ca/search?q=copper+coil+heat+exchanger&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7LENN_enCA459CA459&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=oDg8UsKUC9SyygGmqoHoAw&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=620&dpr=1

Dwight Doane
09-20-2013, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=John Arnold;231816]Water hammer device?

- - - Updated - - -
Do you have a picture of the other end - it could be a an anti hammer device if only one end is attaced , however I tend to think it is a heat exchanger to keep the toilet from sweating ( cold water enters the coil warms up , moist air condeses on the outside of the coil and drips onto the dirt floor

Other wise , I would say it was a built in Gin maker :p

Tom Rees
09-21-2013, 06:50 AM
I guess the first question is. Is this on the hot or cold supply?

Rich Goeken
09-23-2013, 03:12 AM
Copper coil heat exchanger

Not really. If you notice in your reference, a heat exchanger needs an IN and a OUT in order to exchange heat. The goes for the air heat exchangers too.

Unless, the "return" going down the inside of the coil is connected to the fitting and not crimped within the coil. Then it may be some kind of "radiator" or "heat-exchanger." Were you able to observe this?

BTW, I have installed units similar to this one way back when as anti-hammer devices.

Dwight Doane
09-23-2013, 03:26 AM
This could have a split T - it is similar to a valve body but doesn't have the need to be that heavy where one outlet is on the inside diameter and the inlet is on the outlet diameter of the branch. These are commonly used in low pressure regulators like on the gas supply side of the meter - I really hope we get a picture from the other side that would be really helpful and I like odd things like this - they are fun

Mark Reinmiller
09-23-2013, 06:07 AM
Copper coil heat exchanger - https://www.google.ca/search?q=copper+coil+heat+exchanger&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7LENN_enCA459CA459&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=oDg8UsKUC9SyygGmqoHoAw&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=620&dpr=1

If I recall correctly, the ones I have seen have the end of the copper crimped/soldered shut. It could be that a heat exchanger manufacturer decided this would be an additional product they could sell using existing manufacturing capabilities.

David Johnston
09-23-2013, 08:24 AM
This could have a split T - it is similar to a valve body but doesn't have the need to be that heavy where one outlet is on the inside diameter and the inlet is on the outlet diameter of the branch. These are commonly used in low pressure regulators like on the gas supply side of the meter - I really hope we get a picture from the other side that would be really helpful and I like odd things like this - they are fun

It looks to me that the coil terminates near the bottom at the end of the coil closest to the main line. It looks crimped and soldered...
another picture would confirm that...

- - - Updated - - -

It looks to me that the coil terminates near the bottom at the end of the coil closest to the main line. It looks crimped and soldered...
another picture would confirm that...