PDA

View Full Version : Vent flashing

Jeff Eastman
10-13-2007, 07:31 AM

Paul Kondzich
10-14-2007, 12:12 PM
If there is staining on the sheathing in the attic it is, or was previously leaking. I would just report what I saw.

Billy Stephens
10-14-2007, 04:49 PM
In the attic there is water staining on the roof decking where the water heater vent exits the roof. The base flashing looks okay to me but does anyone see anything wrong?

Jeff,

Other than the Big Old Nasty Patch beside it and the Rusty Flue Pipe? No.

Jerry Peck
10-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Were there any new(er) vent sections down inside?

Wast the water heater replaced?

Kevin Barre
10-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Yeah...I see something wrong. Unless I am not seeing things clearly, it looks like your storm collar has no caulking at the inside radius where it meets the flue. If you aren't familiar with the term, the storm collar is the section of the flashing just above the base flashing. It looks like a pie plate pulled upside-down over the flue where it meets the base flashing.
It's just a small gap, but some water will seep through the gap. Over a few years, this will collect in the depressions around the inlet and outlet fittings on top of the water heater, corroding them and causing premature failure of the water heater --assuming the flue is a straight run up thru the roof. If the flue is not straight up, the water can collect at a bend in the flue and drip thru the ceiling insulation.

Based on the two concentric rings visible on the flue above the current storm collar location, it appears that the water heater has either been replaced or moved up a couple of times. Perhaps the water heaters fail due to corrosion from a leaking flue and the plumbers aren't aware of the root cause and just keep replacing the WH.

If this is not clear, email me and I can provide better photos.

Jerry Peck
10-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Based on the two concentric rings visible on the flue above the current storm collar location, it appears that the water heater has either been replaced or moved up a couple of times.

Yeppers, that's what I was referring to.