PDA

View Full Version : New Product Introduction

Benton Russell
10-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Hello to everyone. I have read quite a few posts trying to get a feel of this fine site. I am not a home inspector but I think this is the place to get opinions on a new product that is just cracking the market. We have a new patented product that is on the market. It's called AL-G-LIMINATOR. It's an Inline Ptrap Chlorinator that fits on the A/C condensate drain line. It has a 3" chlorine tablet in it that the drain water is forced over. As the water flows over the tablet the water becomes chlorinated which keeps the downstream piping algae free. It will replace your existing P-trap or it will keep your old trap clean and algae-free. It's like cleaning your line with bleach 24 hours a day seven day a week. Please visit our website, AL-G-LIMINATOR, and give me your opinions. They will be greatly appeciated.

Rick Hurst
10-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Saw one at a trade show about 10 years ago. Don't remember the name though.

rick

Benton Russell
10-14-2007, 03:37 PM
What's your opinion then.

Apreciate all positive or negitive

wayne soper
10-14-2007, 04:06 PM
how about some samples so we can try them out in the field

Dom D'Agostino
10-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Some constructive criticism:

I don’t see any practical way this product could be successful.
The end-user, the homeowner, doesn’t even change the filter regularly; and now he is required to purchase and install a chlorine puck in the condensation drain line?

All that chlorinated condensate will now dribble and run all over the place. Rusted condensing units, stained walkways and siding from the rust, leaking PVC drain lines, dead grass, etc.

While it may be clever, it isn’t self-sufficient and can potentially cause damage to property.

By the way, the web site talks about attic mounted blowers, but many are installed in garages or interior closets.

Good luck with the venture.

Benton Russell
10-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Mr. Dom
Hello and thanks for the reply. As I said any and all responses are appreciated. A few things puzzle me about your reply, though. First the filter issue. If the homeowner does not replace their filter on a regular basis then who pays. Certainly not me or you. It's the homeowner who must pull money out of his pocket. If he buys an 'liminator and does not take the time once per year to add a tablet/puck then whose fault is it. He will be reminded when his drain plugs and he has to unplug it or again pay someone else to.
I'm not real clear on the chlorinated water everywhere statement. Stained concrete also bothers me. Is this where your drain goes? How does chlorine stain concrete? If you are talking about the secondary drain water, I am confident that the secondary drain will never see water because the prmary drain will never plug. The rust you are talking about also is a mystery. This unit is made entirely from PVC. We have a warning not to install it on any line that has iron, steel, brass fittings or valves on it. If the rust is coming off the coils then rest assured it did not come from the 'Liminator since it is mount after the coils. I will give you one point. Dead grass. That is something I did not think of since my drain does not go in my back yard. We will have a warning that this drain water should not be reused for any purpose. We might call it the Dom rule. Again thanks for your opinion.

Benton Russell
10-16-2007, 06:25 PM
One other point Mr. Dom.

Their may be more closet units then I think but I believe the majority have a split units with the evaporator in the attic. We soon will have the "liminator2 on the market. It will take a 1" tablet and be much smaller for guess what. Right the close units. I truly believe in the invention. It probably sounds like I have all the answers. This is not something that just come up. I have worked on this for many moons. Rest assured your comments were taken seriously and were appreciated.

Thank You

Billy Stephens
10-16-2007, 07:12 PM
A/C condensate drain line. piping algae free. It will replace your existing P-trap .

Some constructive criticism:

I don’t see any practical way this product could be successful.
The end-user, the homeowner, doesn’t even change the filter regularly; and now he is required to purchase and install a chlorine puck in the condensation drain line?

Good luck with the venture.

Mr. Russell,

Per your quote will replace the existing P trap.

Who Replaces it?

What if there is No P trap or it's hidden?

Algae Free? Home Owner concern?

What I got from The Dom's post is the average home owner does not perform preventive
maintenance. Much less worry about algae in a drain line.There will need to be an educational process I'm not sure you can over come.

Perhaps first launch of you purposed product should be with the Manufacturers and/or
installation Techs which would eliminate the extensive educational hurdle.:eek:

Rick Hurst
10-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Here's my thought. I've looked into this product which he has on ebay for sale.

Overall I think it is a great idea.

My problem with the use of the chlorine tablets is the calcium by-product left over by some of the chlorine tabs (cheaper ones). If you've ever have owned a pool you'll know that any chlorine dispenser type device usually has some residue on the inside of the container where the tablets dissolve. Many of the containers become brittle over time as seen on many in line chlorinators.

Is there any chance that this residue could build up and therefore cause some blockage.

Has any research been done to make use of liquid bleach in a device that could just periodically drip into the line, say like an IV bag or in a venturi type effect.

Just curious,

rick

Jim Luttrall
10-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Mr. Russel,
Have you given any thought to chlorine odor, gas backing up into the system?
Some condensate drain lines "suck" into the system where others "blow".
I have opened up the in-line pool chlorinators and the vapors can knock your head off.
Does this thing have a UL or other independent lab listing?

Dom D'Agostino
10-17-2007, 03:18 PM
A few things puzzle me about your reply, though. First the filter issue. If the homeowner does not replace their filter on a regular basis then who pays.

If the homeowner doesn't care enough to buy and change out the filter, he certainly isn't interested in dealing with some in-line chlorinator.

He will be reminded when his drain plugs and he has to unplug it or again pay someone else to.

Doubtful.
If the line clogs, he'll let it back up for several days before calling a tech to fix it. Ask us how we know:)

I'm not real clear on the chlorinated water everywhere statement. Stained concrete also bothers me. Is this where your drain goes? How does chlorine stain concrete? If you are talking about the secondary drain water, I am confident that the secondary drain will never see water because the prmary drain will never plug. The rust you are talking about also is a mystery. This unit is made entirely from PVC. We have a warning not to install it on any line that has iron, steel, brass fittings or valves on it. If the rust is coming off the coils then rest assured it did not come from the 'Liminator since it is mount after the coils. I will give you one point. Dead grass. That is something I did not think of since my drain does not go in my back yard. We will have a warning that this drain water should not be reused for any purpose. We might call it the Dom rule. Again thanks for your opinion.

When you run chlorinated water over metal, you get corrosion. Many condensate drain lines terminate in the side yard on or near the condensing unit, and on the concrete pad. The homeowner will not change the existing drain location to allow this device to be installed. I bet that most homeowners don't know where the condensate drain even terminates.

Your A/C device appeals to technical people, just not Joe Sixpack. The homeowner just won't buy it. Again, good luck!!

Dom D'Agostino
10-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Their may be more closet units then I think but I believe the majority have a split units with the evaporator in the attic.

Maybe in your geographic region. But I doubt its the majority.

Dom D'Agostino
10-17-2007, 03:33 PM
By the way, many of these same homeowners have swimming pools with in-line chlorinators. These pool devices use 3" tablets, and most dispeners are empty. If the pool doesn't get chlorine, what are the odds the A/C drain line will get it? :)

You need to invent a self-sustaining, auto-fill dispenser. :D

Benton Russell
10-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Mr. Russel,
Have you given any thought to chlorine odor, gas backing up into the system?
Some condensate drain lines "suck" into the system where others "blow".
I have opened up the in-line pool chlorinators and the vapors can knock your head off.
Does this thing have a UL or other independent lab listing?

Hello Jim

Thanks for the reply. Since this is a P-trap and the inlet in higher than the outlet, the only exposed chlorinated water will be the water contained inside a 3/4" fitting. The air will never be drawn through the 'Liminator. If I had a good pic it would explain it better. Again thanks for the reply.

Benton

Benton Russell
10-18-2007, 06:34 PM
If the homeowner doesn't care enough to buy and change out the filter, he certainly isn't interested in dealing with some in-line chlorinator.

Doubtful.
If the line clogs, he'll let it back up for several days before calling a tech to fix it. Ask us how we know:)

When you run chlorinated water over metal, you get corrosion. Many condensate drain lines terminate in the side yard on or near the condensing unit, and on the concrete pad. The homeowner will not change the existing drain location to allow this device to be installed. I bet that most homeowners don't know where the condensate drain even terminates.

Your A/C device appeals to technical people, just not Joe Sixpack. The homeowner just won't buy it. Again, good luck!!

Ain't no doubt running chloriated water over metal will make rusted water.
This 'Liminator goes on the drain line AFTER the evaporator. It never comes in contact with any metal. Again it we don't want it installed on any line that is not 100% plastic, PVC. I can really tell you have had some awful experiences with people. I have a little bit more confidences in folks than you, but just keep holding on.

Benton

Benton Russell
10-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Mr. Russell,

Per your quote will replace the existing P trap.

Who Replaces it?

What if there is No P trap or it's hidden?

Algae Free? Home Owner concern?

What I got from The Dom's post is the average home owner does not perform preventive
maintenance. Much less worry about algae in a drain line.There will need to be an educational process I'm not sure you can over come.

Perhaps first launch of you purposed product should be with the Manufacturers and/or
installation Techs which would eliminate the extensive educational hurdle.:eek:

Billy

The algae that I'm speaking of is actually cold-water algae that plugs the drain line. That is what the 'Liminator is geared toward preventing. Everyone uses bleach to clean/unplug the drain line. Why not use chloriated water 24 hours a day 7 days a week to prevent cold-water algae from building up? Bleach is really just chloriated water, right?

Thanks for your time
Benton Russell

Benton Russell
10-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Billy

The algae that I'm speaking of is actually cold-water algae that plugs the drain line. That is what the 'Liminator is geared toward preventing. again thanks for your replyEveryone uses bleach to clean/unplug the drain line. Why not use chloriated water 24 hours a day 7 days a week to prevent cold-water algae from building up? Bleach is really just chloriated water, right?

Thanks for your time
Benton Russell

OOPs left something out!!!!

The AL-G-LIMINATOR can be used in place of the old P-trap. A P-Trap is defined by how much water or liquid it can hold without draining. 2 to 4 inches are the figures that define this. The 'Liminator was made to fall into this catagory. If the old trap is hidden, don't worry. The 'Liminator will keep it clean if it's down-stream of the 'Liminator.
Thanks again
Benton Russell

Billy Stephens
10-18-2007, 07:02 PM
give me your opinions. They will be greatly appeciated.
You don't act like it.:D

Billy

The algae that I'm speaking of is actually cold-water algae that plugs the drain
Thanks for your time
Benton Russell
Really cold water you say thats in the drain line never heard of the stuff. :rolleyes:

I can really tell you have had some awful experiences with people. I have a little bit more confidences in folks than you, but just keep holding on.Benton

You've practiced your objection responses well. That works in front of the buyer not END USER.

You have gotten some real world advise from several take it or leave it. But if you are going to insult someone for giving their opinion ME thinks your feelings might get hurt.

Several have wished you well in your venture BLOW:eek: REALLY!

Rick Hurst
10-18-2007, 07:25 PM
You know they say men like to have a visual, so knock yourself out.

Benton Russell
10-18-2007, 07:26 PM
You don't act like it.:D

Really cold water you say thats in the drain line never heard of the stuff. :rolleyes:

Your practiced you objection responses well. That works in front of the buyer not END USER.

You have gotten some real world advise from several take it or leave it. But if you are going to insult someone for giving their opinion ME thinks your feelings might get hurt.

Several have wished you well in your venture BLOW:eek:

Billy

I've read back through all my posts and can't find anything that I said that could possibly insult anyone. I tried to fully explain my side of every post. I will apolozed to anyone that I've insulted, though. Thanks to everyone for their well wishes.

Benton Russell

Tom Munds
10-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Billy

The algae that I'm speaking of is actually cold-water algae that plugs the drain line. That is what the 'Liminator is geared toward preventing. Everyone uses bleach to clean/unplug the drain line. Why not use chloriated water 24 hours a day 7 days a week to prevent cold-water algae from building up? Bleach is really just chloriated water, right?

Thanks for your time
Benton Russell
I don't know anyone who uses bleach to unclog their lines, but what are the environmental ramifications of your product.?Where I live most homes are on private septic. How does that effect the natural breakdown of waste that septics are designed to do. I'm not an eek-freak, just curious.

Tom Munds
10-20-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't know anyone who uses bleach to unclog their lines, but what are the environmental ramifications of your product.?Where I live most homes are on private septic. How does that effect the natural breakdown of waste that septics are designed to do. I'm not an eek-freak, just curious.
By the way I have a pool and I always have chlorine tabs in my chlorinator but I guess not everyone is as OCD as I am!

Benton Russell
10-21-2007, 10:39 AM

Hello Tom

Bleach will do a good job cleaning this line, but I didn't mean that it's the only thing to use. I have my own septic system. If you think about it, my wife washes clothes and in most loads she uses bleach, usually a cup. This doesn't affect my septic system and I'm sure it take lots more than the 'Liminator's chlorine to affect the system. The 'Liminator will put app 7-9 parts per million in the drain water. I would say that no more than 5 gallons of water comes off an a/c drain per day. That mixed with the number of gallons coming through the rest of the house is not that much. That is a very good concern but I don't feel like it will affect your system.

Thanks for the reply. All are appreciated.

Benton Russell