PDA

View Full Version : Drain line questions

Clay White
10-14-2007, 12:21 PM

Paul Kondzich
10-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Around here a high loop was never permitted, although you see them alot. What is required here is an airgap, above the sink rim.

Scott Patterson
10-14-2007, 03:14 PM
First picture; The loop is not above the flood rim of the sink. Also the corrugated pipe on the tailpiece is a No No.

Second picture; Looks OK. If it is not angled back toward the trap it is OK. Yes, it does need a fall in the line.

Jerry Peck
10-14-2007, 05:47 PM
First picture; The loop is not above the flood rim of the sink.

The "high loop" does not need to be above the flood level rim of the sink, only up high under the countertop.

Also, some new ones are coming with a "high loop" built in, with the drain line attached to the side of the cabinet, and their installation instructions may state that the loop only needs to be 21" high above the floor (I know, that's not "high", but I've seen some which state 21" is all it needs).

Michael Greenwalt
10-15-2007, 05:46 AM
Ran across a whirlpool, only needed to terminate 18 inches minimum above floor level. I usually recommend buyer contact manufacturer with make/model to verify installation requirements if the manual is not present.

Scott Patterson
10-15-2007, 05:50 AM
If you have a chance to see a DW before it is installed, many are coming from the factory with an extra long drain hose that is attached to the top, side or back of the dishwasher, thus providing a "High" loop. Problem is that we can't see it once it is installed.

Stuart Brooks
10-15-2007, 08:38 AM
High Loop - DW drain must be higher that its entry point into a drain or the disposal. Simply prevents siphon of gray water back into the dishwasher. An air gap adds prevention the contamination possibility by indicating and/or preventing back-flow into the DW if the disposer or drain line is clogged - Of course, I could be wrong. Please let me know if that's the case.;)

Jerry Peck
10-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Dan,

Oh ... my ... gawd ... How old is that illustration?

It shows "S" traps on those. :D