PDA

View Full Version : Concentric Direct Vent placement

Diana Kane
10-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Hello,
I am being told my current vent is not to code. I have a Peerless 80k btu older Munchkin type boiler which was installed by a previous owner. There is only one exhaust pipe vented to the exterior. It is a 4" pipe and is under a window. It exits 5 inches off the ground but is exhausting at 18" due to the addition of 2 90's on the end of the pipe. I know this is improper. My question is this: If I make the pipe a concentric, with a vent and exhaust to/from the boiler, and make sure it is 18" off grade through the wall and 12" below the window, will I be ok? The pipe is about 4 feet from a corner (two exterior walls meeting). I was told this is not an issue with Concentric Direct Vent pipes. Is this true? Any guidance would be helpful since this is in a problem area of the house! Thanks!!

Jim Robinson
10-22-2013, 01:26 PM
That is going to be different for each unit. The manufacturer's instructions should state the clearances to the ground, window, corners, etc. Do you still have the instructions for the boiler? If so, you should see some diagrams in there. If not, you may need to try a web search for the manual.

Mike Lamb
10-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Hello,
My question is this: If I make the pipe a concentric, with a vent and exhaust to/from the boiler, and make sure it is 18" off grade through the wall and 12" below the window, will I be ok?

Yes.

The pipe is about 4 feet from a corner (two exterior walls meeting). I was told this is not an issue with Concentric Direct Vent pipes. Is this true? Any guidance would be helpful since this is in a problem area of the house! Thanks!!

I think the 4' rule still applies with direct vent (concentric) to inside corners.

Read this. Go to VENTING, COMBUSTION AIR & CONDENSATE REMOVAL
http://munchkinboiler.net/uploads/MunchkinRevision2Installation.pdf

Rod Butler
10-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Hello,
I am being told my current vent is not to code. I have a Peerless 80k btu older Munchkin type boiler which was installed by a previous owner. There is only one exhaust pipe vented to the exterior. It is a 4" pipe and is under a window. It exits 5 inches off the ground but is exhausting at 18" due to the addition of 2 90's on the end of the pipe. I know this is improper. My question is this: If I make the pipe a concentric, with a vent and exhaust to/from the boiler, and make sure it is 18" off grade through the wall and 12" below the window, will I be ok? The pipe is about 4 feet from a corner (two exterior walls meeting). I was told this is not an issue with Concentric Direct Vent pipes. Is this true? Any guidance would be helpful since this is in a problem area of the house! Thanks!!

It is under a window? I don't have a code book at home but I think you have a very real issue. I'll try to weigh in tomorrow but in the meantime, don't open your window.