PDA

View Full Version : #2 copper and 4/0 aluminum double tapped at main breaker.

Don Horn
10-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Yesterday I ran into a first for me. First floor is serviced by a Bryant 200 amp panel. The main service is supplied from the meter by 4/0 aluminum. The owner double tapped at the main breaker with #2 copper to feed the lower level panel -- a 100 amp Federal Pacific panel with "stab-Lok" breakers. Interested in your comments. I think this is a disaster waiting to happen but do not want to over react. --- Sorry, having problems uploading photos

Jim Robinson
10-29-2013, 10:13 AM
It would definitely get some red ink on my report, both from the double tap and for the FPE panel. Is there room in the service panel for a supply breaker to the sub panel?

Don Horn
10-29-2013, 10:25 AM
It would definitely get some red ink on my report, both from the double tap and for the FPE panel. Is there room in the service panel for a supply breaker to the sub panel?
Yes, I have suggested that be done. Without one, the #2 copper has inadequate protection. You bring up another problem --- The FPE "sub panel" is not wired as a sub panel.

Jim Port
10-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Those lugs are for one conductor not two. Also the AL should not be touching the CU. There are probably other issues as well.

John Kogel
10-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Don't worry about over-reacting on that one. It is completely screwed up and should all be torn out and replaced by a professional.
Crap like that burns houses down.

Don Horn
10-30-2013, 05:07 AM
Don't worry about over-reacting on that one. It is completely screwed up and should all be torn out and replaced by a professional.
Crap like that burns houses down.
Thanks for the feed back. I jumped all over it (in Red letters) and called it everything, just short of "crap".