PDA

View Full Version : Bootlegged power?

Oni Shaw
11-24-2013, 12:25 PM
When I inspected a foreclosure, I was told that the utilities were on. Sure enough, all electrical systems and appliances were functional. However, the meter dial was not turning even with heat pump and oven elements in operation. I had been told by a power company representative a few years back (I thought) that the style ring on this meter was a lockout ring for when power had been turned off by the utility. So visually at the meter, I am expecting no power. I looked around for some "alternative" power source, but could find nothing. (Underground service, no unexplained extension cords running to neighbor, no generator or roof mounted wind turbines) Am I missing something obvious? Is it possible for the meter dial to be stuck? I am more stumped by the lack of dial movement than by the style of ring around the meter. (No photo attached. Unable to upload photos today for unknown reason. Photo just showed ring style on meter.)

Billy Stephens
11-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Could you remove the meter or was it loose?
*My SWAG Meter plug ins were covered to block contact and the connection jumped.

Oni Shaw
11-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Could you remove the meter or was it loose?
*My SWAG Meter plug ins were covered to block contact and the connection jumped.

It did not appear loose, but I did not physically check. (Could a loose meter allow power without measuring it? If so, I think I'll try to loosen mine!) Maybe it's time I went to the utility company and asked for a demo on meters and how they work, are connected, are locked out, etc. I'd be a little nervous about pulling on a meter with my current lack of knowledge. Learning opportunity #73416 coming up!

Billy Stephens
11-24-2013, 02:28 PM
(Could a loose meter allow power without measuring it? If so, I think I'll try to loosen mine!) !

If the meter was removed and the plugins covered with a non conductive material and replaced , with the in coming service wires jumped then the meter has nothing to measure.

*if you do that it's Theft !
** might just want to pay your bill. ;)

Oni Shaw
11-24-2013, 03:05 PM
*if you do that it's Theft !
** might just want to pay your bill. ;)
Oh, alright! I guess I'll be honest.
Is the setup you describe a deliberate power stealing tactic or a faulty lockout (or both)? Sounds deliberate. Thank you for educating me AND keeping me out of jail in the same post!

Billy Stephens
11-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Is the setup you describe a deliberate power stealing tactic or a faulty lockout (or both)? Sounds deliberate. Thank you for educating me AND keeping me out of jail in the same post!

Example of a jumped meter ( black wire on left, red wire on right ) with the meter cover removed.

Jerry Peck
11-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Example of a jumped meter ( black wire on left, red wire on right ) with the meter cover removed.

Billy,

You didn't need to show us your meter bypass wiring ... :)

Roland Miller
11-25-2013, 07:09 AM

It is NOT a faulty lockout...If indeed it is supposed to be locked out then someone has bypassed the meter..

Billy Stephens
11-25-2013, 07:32 AM
Billy,

You didn't need to show us your meter bypass wiring ... :)

Wow !

Thanks for the reminder.
* gotta get out there and hookup before the meter reader comes today. ;)