PDA

View Full Version : No venting hood above electric cooktop

Ben Im
12-10-2013, 01:32 PM
An old condominium, the seller installed new electric cook top on kitchen island but NO Hood above it.
my client said the kitchen hood is mandatory on transaction of house like smog detectors.
Is it true in california?

Billy Stephens
12-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Your Client is Wrong.
* if your client wants an exhaust then negotiate the cost of one off the asking price.

Scott Patterson
12-10-2013, 03:08 PM
An old condominium, the seller installed new electric cook top on kitchen island but NO Hood above it.
my client said the kitchen hood is mandatory on transaction of house like smog detectors.
Is it true in california?

Hoods not required with cooktops, stoves, etc... They are nice but not required....

Smog detector? Really?

Billy Stephens
12-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Hoods not required with cooktops, stoves, etc... They are nice but not required....

Smog detector? Really?

Yep,

Nobody likes some ole lingering stale smog hanging around.;)

Ben Im
12-10-2013, 08:30 PM
OMG, I did type "smog"
Embarrassing,,,

Ken Rowe
12-10-2013, 10:25 PM

Smog detector? Really?

Unless they have a grill feature, then they are required.

Jerry Peck
12-11-2013, 05:17 AM
Unless they have a grill feature, then they are required.

Not just a grille feature either, but an open top broiler - basically think of your outdoor BBQ being indoors with no hood to cover it ... then think of when it flames up and you have fire 3 feet high ... Yikes!

Not only does that require a hood, but it also requires additional clearance to combustible material above and to each side.

Electric cooktop = no problem. :)

Terry Beck
12-20-2013, 03:04 AM
I am certainly not Jerry Peck, but in my reading of building codes I can only find standards as to how a vent should be installed (also see manufacturer). I sometimes do write up cases when a hood does not have adequate clearance. etc. But, I can NOT find any code that says a vent or hood is required to be installed. But, the buyer can always ask for what they want, just can't claim it is required by code.

Rick Cantrell
12-20-2013, 05:33 AM
I am certainly not Jerry Peck, but in my reading of building codes I can only find standards as to how a vent should be installed (also see manufacturer). I sometimes do write up cases when a hood does not have adequate clearance. etc. But, I can NOT find any code that says a vent or hood is required to be installed. But, the buyer can always ask for what they want, just can't claim it is required by code.

Manufacturers of cooktops with grills have specific installation instructions in regard to clearance to combustibles (cabinets) and venting. The code requires the cooktop to be installed to the manufactures instructions, these instructions are different from standard cooktops. So the requirement for clearance to combustibles and/or need for a vent hood are determined by the manufacturer.