PDA

View Full Version : NEW ASHI 2013 Standard of Practice

Scott Patterson
12-17-2013, 03:13 PM
For those of you that use or say you use the ASHI Standard of Practice you might want to familiarize yourself with the changes.

The above PDF is the Standard that was voted on and passed by the ASHI membership. The website will be updated soon to reflect the changes.

Bruce Ramsey
12-17-2013, 08:47 PM
I think it would be useful to publish a "Change List" just so there is no confusion about what has changed. Not everyone is thorough as they could/should be.

Jack Feldmann
12-18-2013, 04:30 AM
The changes were available before the vote.

Scott Patterson
12-18-2013, 06:25 AM
I think it would be useful to publish a "Change List" just so there is no confusion about what has changed. Not everyone is thorough as they could/should be.

This is a link to the rationale for each change, it list the section, change and why the change was done.
http://www.homeinspector.org/email_documents/rationale5.0.pdf

Garry Sorrells
12-18-2013, 06:28 AM
This gives the rational behind changes. (from ASHI web site)

http://www.homeinspector.org/email_documents/rationale5.0.pdf

Bruce Ramsey
12-18-2013, 10:22 AM
So other than a bunch of wordsmithing, it looks like the big take aways are:

- Test AFCI in unoccupied houses
- Operate Built-in Kitchen Appliances
- Inspect/report carbon monoxide alarms
- Don't have to report voltage and floor coverings.

Scott Patterson
12-18-2013, 02:23 PM

Yep, that's pretty much the Readers Digest version of the changes!

Jerry Peck
12-18-2013, 03:53 PM

In other words, do what most home inspectors do anyway ... (at least down in Florida where operating appliances was/is already the norm). :)

Scott Patterson
12-19-2013, 06:26 AM
In other words, do what most home inspectors do anyway ... (at least down in Florida where operating appliances was/is already the norm). :)

You would think that operating built-in appliances would be the norm for most home inspectors across the country but it's not. Surveys showed that those on the Left and Right coast tended to disclaim appliances more than other parts of the country, this group also gave the most resistance to this change in the SoP.

Jerry Peck
12-19-2013, 01:11 PM
You would think that operating built-in appliances would be the norm for most home inspectors across the country but it's not. Surveys showed that those on the Left and Right coast tended to disclaim appliances more than other parts of the country, this group also gave the most resistance to this change in the SoP.

Hard to imagine doing a home inspection and disclaiming the appliances (including built-in appliances), down in South Florida we operated built-in appliances and other 'major' appliances (such as slid-in ranges, clothes washers, clothes dryers, etc).

Guess it all depends on where one came from and what 'everyone else is doing', and not realizing that 'doing more than everyone else is doing' is a good way to set yourself apart from 'everyone else' so that you can build a following and referrals.

Scott Patterson
12-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Hard to imagine doing a home inspection and disclaiming the appliances (including built-in appliances), down in South Florida we operated built-in appliances and other 'major' appliances (such as slid-in ranges, clothes washers, clothes dryers, etc).

Guess it all depends on where one came from and what 'everyone else is doing', and not realizing that 'doing more than everyone else is doing' is a good way to set yourself apart from 'everyone else' so that you can build a following and referrals.

I agree! Heck I just finished an inspection and just in kitchen appliances they had a conservative $25k just in appliances, and this is fairly normal in my area... Not unusual to see 3k dishwashers; 5k-10k stoves, etc....

Eric Barker
12-22-2013, 12:23 PM

All the more reason to take this opportunity to go through the entire standard both as a refresher and to confirm that your report is covering all the bases.

Brian Hannigan
01-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Any idea when the new standards will be posted to the ASHI site?

Scott Patterson
01-09-2014, 07:51 AM
Any idea when the new standards will be posted to the ASHI site?

I don't know but I would think that after this weekends board meeting I might know.

My SWAG is that it will be in a few weeks or after IW. The majority of the ASHI staff have been working on IW for the past few weeks with just a few working on other day to day issues and business. Also the entire ASHI website is being updated with a new look, features, etc... Might be when that happens.....