PDA

View Full Version : SIS Wiring

Bob Burke
01-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Has anyone ever seen SIS wiring used for electrical circuits in a home? I ran into this today while inspecting a single family residence. Most circuits in the electrical panel used SIS wiring. The wires were marked "SIS" and 12 gauge. The wires were stranded and looked like tin coated or aluminum. After a little research it appears this is primarily used for commercial applications and is known as "Switchboard Wire". Can this be used for residential applications? I called this out as unconventional wiring needing further professional evaluation along with other problems observed in the electrical panel.

Billy Stephens
01-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Has anyone ever seen SIS wiring used for electrical circuits in a home? I ran into this today while inspecting a single family residence. Most circuits in the electrical panel used SIS wiring. The wires were marked "SIS" and 12 gauge. The wires were stranded and looked like tin coated or aluminum. After a little research it appears this is primarily used for commercial applications and is known as "Switchboard Wire". Can this be used for residential applications? I called this out as unconventional wiring needing further professional evaluation along with other problems observed in the electrical panel.

Wire and Cable ยป SIS Wire: Switchboard Wire and SIS Cable (http://www.distributorwire.com/blog/index.php/wire-cable-products/sis-wire/)

If the Distribution Panel Manufacture allows it's use and the load on the branch circuit is not over 20 amps it would be correct.

Jim Port
01-17-2014, 10:13 AM
I disagree, this sounds like it is only for use in panels and equipment cabinets etc. The NEC does not have an article covering this type of wire and would not allow its usage.

Jerry Peck
01-17-2014, 10:22 AM
I disagree, this sounds like it is only for use in panels and equipment cabinets etc. The NEC does not have an article covering this type of wire and would not allow its usage.

I agree with Jim.

The NEC addresses SIS wiring in Table 310.104(4) and states the approved "Application Provisions" as "Switchboard wiring only".

That means it is allowed for use as wiring within the switchboard but not outside the switchboard for use as feeders or branch circuits.

Tom Rees
01-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Homeowner worked for a company that had a lot of this lying around, got a good price on it, if you know what I mean.

Dana Bostick
01-20-2014, 08:14 AM
Homeowner worked for a company that had a lot of this lying around, got a good price on it, if you know what I mean.

Called a "5 finger discount" :p

Jim Port
01-20-2014, 09:45 AM

Hope they saved enough to pay for the rewiring.