PDA

View Full Version : New panel board installation

Michael Bronner
01-17-2014, 05:40 AM
Question. Anyone have a code reference (2011 NEC) that states when a new panel board is installed, spaces must remain available for future expansion? I seem to recall hearing or reading that somewhere. I attempted last night, in vain I might add, to find anything to that nature in the 2011 NEC (as is often the case with that book).

Reason for asking. Inspected a home yesterday that had a new panel installed due to the previous one that was over capacity. Along with about a dozen other concerns with this installation, I noticed that if everything were to be corrected, the brand new panel would be maxed out, no room to install one more breaker.

Seems illogical to go to the trouble to install a brand new panel but not leave any room for expansion. I called it out but if pressed to prove the validity of my claim (other than opinion)....I might have a problem.

Dom D'Agostino
01-17-2014, 07:49 AM
Nothing in the NEC that requires empty/open breaker slots. A "full" panel (within the panel's rated capacity) is allowed.

Dom.

John Kogel
01-17-2014, 03:55 PM
It is good info. Nothing wrong with pointing it out which I do as well.

Rich Goeken
01-20-2014, 05:23 AM
Question. Anyone have a code reference (2011 NEC) that states when a new panel board is installed, spaces must remain available for future expansion?......

I had the same question a few weeks back---got the same answer. I also thought that I saw somewhere that a percentage of spare space should be provided. I'm looking at a new installation that will, after the primary surge protector is installed, have one spare. Sucks. :(