PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Panel At Pool

Raymond Wand
01-17-2014, 05:01 PM
Todays defect -

Electrical panel within 12' of in ground pool.

Ground fault protected from main panel in house, but the completely open to the elements.

Yes that is snow behind the panel and on the panel.

Gerry Bennett
01-19-2014, 08:17 AM
[QUOTE=Raymond Wand;236499]Todays defect -

Electrical panel within 12' of in ground pool.

Ground fault protected from main panel in house, but the completely open to the elements.

Yes that is snow behind the panel and on the panel.[

Doesn't look like a raintight enclosure, looks like indoor romex wiring, and I think we should be seeing some kind of ground wire, usually #8 solid.

Raymond Wand
01-19-2014, 08:30 AM
I agree the whole thing is wrong. I called it out for further investigation by electrician prior to close of title and that it required weather proof enclosure. You can bet that panel was not installed by any licenced electrician.

This house was over 100 years old and an addition added and renovations completed to the original house. In my report I stressed to my client and their agent to have their lawyer check that building permit and electrical inspections were carried out prior to close of title.

Of course the owner of the house is allegedly a contractor! Hmmm, yeah, right!

Thanks

Markus Keller
01-19-2014, 10:59 AM
Screw further investigation
Full removal by licensed electrician prior to warm weather and yard/pool use; D&H condition; properly install exterior rated panel at secure location.
Not only is the install hazardous but it leaves itself open to posing additional hazards based on human behaviour ... bored little boys running around the pool, ooh whats this thing, start playing with the breakers, putting their wet hands all over the panel, etc.
Dead kids means the phone is going to ring
Beyond that the romex could easily get damaged and pose an electrocution hazard
Sorry but when I see pictures like that I don't write the report light

John Kogel
01-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Further investigation of the binder twine is called for. We want to know why. ;)
Probably a plastic bag that blew away in the wind.

Since the work was probably done by an amateur without a permit, Raymond is right to warn the buyer that some hidden problems may exist - further evaluation, investigation or say it another way.

Raymond Wand
01-19-2014, 01:10 PM
... and yes the 'implications' of such an installation where documented in the report.

Jerry Peck
01-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Full removal by licensed electrician prior to warm weather and yard/pool use;
Sorry but when I see pictures like that I don't write the report light

Completely agree with Markus - there is no reason for anyone to further investigate anything there - remove that sucker ASAP and replace it with the proper equipment for the job and its location.

I would hit things like that with both barrels and follow it up with a few blasts from the old Gatling Gun, and a Surface to Air missile or two just for good measure to make sure the point was clearly made. By the time I was through explaining why it should be removed, at least seven people would be dead from it. :rant:

Rich Goeken
01-20-2014, 05:10 AM
Completely agree with Markus - there is no reason for anyone to further investigate anything there - remove that sucker ASAP and replace it with the proper equipment for the job and its location.

I would hit things like that with both barrels and follow it up with a few blasts from the old Gatling Gun, and a Surface to Air missile or two just for good measure to make sure the point was clearly made. By the time I was through explaining why it should be removed, at least seven people would be dead from it. :rant:

Jerry, you have a way with words....... :D

Stuart Brooks
01-27-2014, 09:37 AM

I'm with Markus and Jerry. There is no need for further investigation or "evaluation". It's a completely bad and dangerous installation.

Mbrooke
01-29-2014, 06:18 PM
Fire and shock hazard par excellence.

jakson
02-05-2014, 06:09 AM
All wiring installed in a common conduit system must either not be Ground Fault protected.Pool circuits shall be identified in the circuit breaker panel.

Thanks
epackpolymers.com