PDA

View Full Version : Air Admitance Valve in Manufactured Home

Terre G
04-07-2007, 04:48 PM
While touring a manufactured home factory I was surprised to see they were using AAV (studor vents) and hiding them in the wall. They cover them with No access, or accessible panel. I asked the state inspector there, and he said this was accepted and approved by the state of Oregon.

StudorVentMFH.jpg

Jim Luttrall
04-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Mobil homes and the rules are screwy, but then the AAV will likely outlast the home especially here in Tornado Alley!
Jim

dick whitfield
04-07-2007, 04:58 PM
That seems like a bad idea....

Tim Moreira
04-07-2007, 05:27 PM
So if you ever have to replace it you need to call a drywaller after the plumber, who took a sledge hammer to the wall to gain access.

Atta boy. :mad:

Charles Sessums
04-07-2007, 06:27 PM
While touring a manufactured home factory I was surprised to see they were using AAV (studor vents) and hiding them in the wall. They cover them with No access, or accessible panel. I asked the state inspector there, and he said this was accepted and approved by the state of Oregon.

StudorVentMFH.jpg

Thats not a studor brand vent. It's a cheap knock off. Orange box stuff. Allowed in manufactured homes but not in stick built. IPC 917.4 states access shall be provided. Height is wrong also.

Thom Walker
04-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Charles,
For my "learned something new today" book, what should the height have been?

Bruce Breedlove
04-07-2007, 07:21 PM
2003 IRC P3114.4 Location: Individual and branch air admittance valves shall be located a minimum of 4 inches (102 mm) above the horizontal branch drain or fixture drain being vented. Stack-type air admittance valves shall be located a minimum of 6 inches (152 mm) above the flood level rim of the highest fixture being vented. The air admittance valve shall be located within the maximum developed length permitted for the vent. The air admittance valve shall be installed a minimum of 6 inches (152 mm) above insulation materials where installed in attics.

P3114.5 Access and ventilation. Access shall be provided to all air admittance valves. The valve shall be located within a ventilated space that allows air to enter the valve.

Scott Patterson
04-07-2007, 07:31 PM
That is really a mechanical vent. They are black in color and can be used in manufactured homes.

A true AAV is white to tan in color and can be used in residential construction.

Jerry Peck
04-07-2007, 07:35 PM
As I was typing this I noticed Scott posted the same thing.

That's not an AAV (not a Studor Vent and not an Oatey AAV), it is a mechanical vent.

From the IRC.
- R101.2 Scope. The provisions of the International Residential Code for One- and Two-family Dwellings shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, removal and demolition of detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses not more than three stories above-grade in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures.

The IRC does not apply to manufactured homes.

Different rules - DOT I think it is.

Jack Feldmann
04-08-2007, 06:03 AM
Terre,
Since it was under construction, do you know if they put an access panel for the vent?
JF

dick whitfield
04-08-2007, 06:12 AM
In NC mobile homes are approved by the Dept of Insurance.

Terre G
04-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Jack,
I did ask. And NO, they do NOT install access panels. Manufactured Homes are not held to the same standard as site built homes. In fact, here in Oregon, double-wide (and larger) manufactured homes are NOT required to be tied down.

When I required them be installed on a new double wide on the coastal tsunami and flood zone area, as per the manufacture's installation instructions, the installer complained to the State of Oregon Chief Inspector for Manufactured Homes, and he told the installer not to install them. He then told me that I was violating State law by requiring them! He ignored the fact that we are in a seismic design category D-2, and are in a 110 mph (3 second gust) Wind Zone, as well as in a flood plain and Tsunami Zone!

I haven't given up on educating the home buyers.

Terre Gift
Building Official
Astoria & Warrenton, Oregon

Jim Luttrall
04-11-2007, 06:51 AM
Terre, it sounds like your State official is in the pocket of the industry he is supposed to regulate, Just my opinion. I would be asking for the written regulations to do my own research. I would think that there might even be some federal requirements on this, but maybe not if manufactured within your state and not transported across state lines.
What about HUD and FHA? If I remember correctly, there are tie-down and foundation requirements on VA loans.
Of course we all know the train has already left the station on common sense, so that can't be applied here!
Jim

TCattell
07-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Hold on for the mechanical vent....Is that a screw on P-trap behind the wall??? I didn't know that was permitted without access!

Jerry Peck
07-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Hold on for the mechanical vent....Is that a screw on P-trap behind the wall??? I didn't know that was permitted without access!

That mechanical vent requires access too - so, all they will do is put a removable access cover over it all.

Don't forget, too, that the mechanical vent, as well as AAVs, require ventilation and are not allowed to be in the wall cavity even with a removable access cover unless that access cover is suitably louvered for sufficient and adequate ventilation.