PDA

View Full Version : Proper terminology needed

dan orourke
10-19-2007, 01:37 PM

wayne soper
10-19-2007, 02:06 PM
The shower pan would normally be the lead or plastic pan that is set below the tile surface. I usually call the base of the shower the shower base and the underlying material the pan. On a plastic base such as this I think base or liner is fine but the prerequisite for calling it a liner would be showing 3 inches of ass crack every time you bend over, and since that doesn't do much for referrals I would stick with "base". I'm sure as with accents the terminology changes with location but the whole idea is to have the client understand what you are describing. If you tell your client there is a problem with the shower liner they will be looking and thinking of the shower stall walls. If you say the base. They will know what you are describing.
If you are talking to a plumber just say that thingy over there so they can pontificate as I am doing now. Sorry. Hope that helped

Billy Stephens
10-19-2007, 02:20 PM
soper;22049] the prerequisite for calling it a liner would be showing 3 inches of ass[/u] crack every time you bend over,

WAYNE??!!!!

PLEASE NO VISIONALS,

Jerry Peck
10-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Depends ...

If it is a plastic/acrylic/cultured marble/etc. 'hard' material, it is a "shower pan" ... pan, liner and all built into one.

If it is a PVC material draped over and fitted into a shower stall bottom, it is a "shower pan liner".

In the old days when copper or lead was used, they would actually make a "pan" which would fit into the shower floor area, those were "shower pans".

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

A "shower pan" is that part at the bottom of the shower which keeps water from going where it is not supposed to go and allows the water to go down the drain, sometimes, such as wood floor and frame wall, the "shower pan" requires a "liner" (i.e., "shower pan liner") to work correctly.

wayne soper
10-19-2007, 05:02 PM
sorry jerry, That's one of those things that you can just never quite get out of your mind. Now the other day I was walking up a stairway behind this broker and..................well I guess you've been there too!!