PDA

View Full Version : Swinging Door near Stairway

Rick Hurst
10-19-2007, 08:03 PM
This appears to be a safety hazard to me but the swinging door does open onto the landing and not over the stairs. This door leads from a theatre room. I can just someone swinging it open and knocking some off the top of the stairs coming up.

rick

Richard Rushing
10-19-2007, 08:08 PM
That's not right!!

Door should swing the other way...

rr

Rick Hurst
10-19-2007, 08:57 PM
I quess its one of those BI doors, Richard.

It swings both ways.

rick

Rick Hurst
10-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Falling down the stairs is like falling up the escalator.

Old Man Falls Up EscalatorÂ*Video (http://break.com/index/old-man-falls-up-escalator.html)

Door Guy
09-04-2010, 03:31 PM
I can't think of a code violation. I guess it would be the same as an exterior stairway, landing and an out swing door. Isn't that the reason for the code required landing? To allow a door to swing onto it?

The problem with this door is that it swings from the side. Your right, more likely to wack someone than a door oposite the stairs. Still see no code violation...

Sam Sloane
01-29-2011, 03:47 AM
May not be a code violation, but is clearly a safety issue.

Door Guy
01-30-2011, 02:20 PM
May not be a code violation, but is clearly a safety issue.

I don't disagree about the safey issue... Does that door just lead to a closet? If so, then I would say not even a saftey issue.

John Kogel
01-30-2011, 08:22 PM
I don't disagree about the safey issue... Does that door just lead to a closet? If so, then I would say not even a saftey issue.It leads to and from the theater room, as in kids running to get popcorn, Mom arriving with popcorn.
I would call for a normal door there, swinging inwards. Slow the kids down.

andy christel
01-31-2011, 07:13 AM
I agree Rick that would be a safety issue.I can see it now. Mom coming up to put laundry away and Wham O.

William Kievit
01-31-2011, 07:37 AM
This is not a clear code violation as the door does not swing out over the stairs. This is an instancewhere I might verbally mention that a see through panel (window) in bi-directional doors is common in the restaurant industry.

Stanley Chow
01-31-2011, 09:25 AM
This is a code violation. The door is swinging into the path of egress and reduces the exit capacity of the stair width and landing area. Code prohibits obstructions in the clear path of egress.

Door Guy
01-31-2011, 09:33 AM
This is a code violation. The door is swinging into the path of egress and reduces the exit capacity of the stair width and landing area. Code prohibits obstructions in the clear path of egress.
Hi Stanely, will you quote the code section please. If I and others are incorrect we would really like to know. Thanks.

James Duffin
01-31-2011, 09:38 AM

This is not in the NC code. What code are you getting this from?

Jerry McCarthy
01-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Not all dumb conditions in the construction world are addressed by the codes. It's a safety hazard, plain & simple, but you know that. ;)

James Duffin
01-31-2011, 02:31 PM
What I do know is that if I put something in a report as a repair item I best have a reason beside I think it is a good idea. As someone said above I might mention it verbally but it will never make it into the report since it really not a violation.

John Kogel
01-31-2011, 04:28 PM
What I do know is that if I put something in a report as a repair item I best have a reason beside I think it is a good idea. As someone said above I might mention it verbally but it will never make it into the report since it really not a violation.You mean you can't say "this could be a safety concern" in your report? Who says you can't? :confused:

I would suggest finding a way to report a simple hazard like this in your report. It is not a deal breaker, so why would a gang of realtors whom seem to be in charge give a crap?

James Duffin
01-31-2011, 04:33 PM
Because to me it is not a big problem. If I think something is a safety hazard it will be in my report. As far a Realtors being charge you must be talking about the way you do business....not me. ;)

Jerry Peck
01-31-2011, 05:00 PM

That is not a code violation.

You are possibly thinking of the building code instead of the residential code.

Door Guy
02-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Not all dumb conditions in the construction world are addressed by the codes. It's a safety hazard, plain & simple, but you know that. ;)
Agreed Jerry, you must admit, this also works in reverse... not all dumb codes are easy to address in construction. No I am NOT saying codes are dumb. Just a few things in the code...

Rolland Pruner
02-01-2011, 05:24 PM
I would say a potential reportable safety hazard.

Jerome Schrenker
05-09-2011, 02:28 PM
There is no code violation here. Jerry is right about it being a egress code violation in the building code. This comes under the residential code. I would not mention it in my report.

Stanley Chow
05-09-2011, 03:34 PM
You guys are correct....it's in the building code but not the residential code. Too bad cause common sense does not always prevail. I was taught in the building codes that the landing was was part of the stairs; hence an obstruction to the egress path.