PDA

View Full Version : Another ground question

Jim McClendon
10-20-2007, 04:36 PM
I continue to see ground wires braided in service panels and was wondering if there was a memo sent out to electricians I missed? Does anyone else see this and how do you write it up?

Jerry Peck
10-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Does anyone else see this

Not as often as I used to.

and how do you write it up?

Yes, write it up as improperly terminated. I see two twisted groups of grounds, so they likely go to two terminals. To my knowledge, most ground terminals are rated for no more than two conductors, and there is one brand which I think might be rated for three ground conductors (someone posted that here a couple of times in response to my statement about being limited to two). Nonetheless, more than three is too many for terminals rated for three, just like more than two are too many for terminals rated for two.

Jim McClendon
10-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks Jerry. I didn't mean to revisit this subject with you (it was covered pretty good in a previous post) ...just curious where else it showed up around the country.

Gunnar Alquist
10-22-2007, 09:14 AM
I see it mostly in older installations. Twisted together, sometimes in a single large terminal, sometimes with a split bolt, sometimes with one of the conductors connected to a ground screw attached to the panel.