PDA

View Full Version : T-111 siding problems

Scott Medlin
10-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Hello friends,

I found this wood siding damage on an inspection today. I commonly see water wicking up at the bottom of wood siding causing damage, but this seems pretty extreme. The grading away from the wall seems o.k. but their are no rain gutters above. The house was built in 1983. Am I right in identifieing it as T-111? Have any of you more experienced folks seen damage this extensive on siding that has good clearance from the ground as this does? Thanks in advance.

Nolan Kienitz
10-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Scott,

All the time. Composition siding is what I use to refer to such.

I keep away from "brand names". There used to be some class actions suits regarding product, but all have run out as best I'm aware.

Develop a statement that provides an explanation of the product (brand names notwithstanding) to help educate your client.

Checkboxes in reports don't do much to aid your client in learning more.

Rick Hurst
10-20-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm surprised they just didn't mount the 1x12 trim board across the damages and caulk it up like you'll see at siding as such.

Rain water run-off from the roof probably the culprit for all that damage.

rick

Richard Moore
10-20-2007, 10:13 PM
It looks more like some type of Masonite product than what I would typically consider to be "T1-11", so I'd also go with "Composition siding".

I don't think clearance from the ground is the issue here. In the 3rd photo, in particular, it looks like the siding is sitting on top of the concrete rather than overlapping it. Water running down the siding is getting trapped at that joint and wicking back into the siding (It's a sure bet they didn't bother to seal the lower edges).

If I was a buyer, I'd want the siding ripped off and the underlying structure checked for damage before I re-negotiated and closed the deal.

Scott Medlin
10-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi Nolan, that's good information. I'll definitely word it as "composition siding" in the report (and future reports). The T-111 question was more to satisfy my personal curiosity. I can see the wisdom of avoiding the use of namebrands in the report. Thanks for the quick reply! Much appreciated.

Scott Medlin
10-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Hey Richard, hey Rick. Thanks for the info. This place is a foreclosure and the buyer is taking it on as an investment property. I'll be sure to pass on concerns about possible framing damage/rot. Thanks again.

Richard Rushing
10-21-2007, 08:29 AM
I too go with hardbaord siding. Life expectancy of this product should be around 12-15 years. After that, is what you see in the making.

I always recommend the lower course (as it shows the worst) of hardboard siding be removed for replacement. Now, once you remove the lower course, you won't be able to re-match the color and pattern (usually) so you will have to replace the entire covered sections.

rr

Scott Patterson
10-21-2007, 08:39 AM
That is not T1-11 or T-111 siding. It is a hardboard product.

Jerry Peck
10-21-2007, 10:32 AM
T1-11 is a style of plywood siding.

That is, as others have said, "hardboard" siding.

If you write it as being T1-11, you are indicating to your client that it is "plywood", which, depending on the client, either may not be a 'big deal' or may end up with them suing you stating that if you had told them that the house had "hardboard" siding they would not have purchased it and that they now want you to pay for re-siding the house.

Depends on your clients and other things, like if they find other problems and eventually retain an attorney.

Nolan Kienitz
10-21-2007, 10:13 PM
I too go with hardbaord siding. Life expectancy of this product should be around 12-15 years. After that, is what you see in the making. rr

My house (built in 1982) has the 'hardboard' panels at a few locations and I replaced it all around the front kitchen bay windows last spring with a Hardie product and am in the process of replacing 5 panels along a garage wall with Hardie product.

Normal maintenance and one step at a time. ;)

Michael Greenwalt
10-22-2007, 06:02 AM
I often see the damage occuring near the bottom panels first. I attribute that to rainwater, or other water sources, splashing up from the ground. Typical homeowner, and painter, we paint what we see. As you proceed up the siding panels to where we see the bottoms of the panels, they get paint. However, down that low,,,,no paint applied, no protection,,,earlier decay. As well this stuff simply does not last forever and the most vunerable areas decay first. Now the real issue is.....what does it look like UNDER that siding where WE cannot see and the buyer is going to want us to predict? Hmmm...