PDA

View Full Version : Boiler advice needed

John Arnold
02-14-2014, 08:17 AM
I have a 30+ year old Weil Mclain boiler. This morning I noticed no heat, so took a look and found a couple pieces of insulation had fallen onto the standing pilot which was out. I removed the insulation and fired the boiler back up no problem.
The insulation pieces are about 3/8 inch thick and together are about 40 square inches or so. Clearly I'm going to be in the market for a new boiler, but we're still paralyzed by snow so I don't think that's going to happen anytime real soon.
My question regards the purpose of the insulation. Is it mainly to reduce heat loss, or does it prevent the boiler cabinet from melting down? In other words, can I limp along for a bit with reduced efficiency, or would I be inviting a catastrophe?
Thanks!

Raymond Wand
02-14-2014, 08:31 AM
3/8" thick is likely not doing much to insulate. Likely okay without it given its thickness.

John Arnold
02-14-2014, 09:21 AM
3/8" thick is likely not doing much to insulate. Likely okay without it given its thickness.

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks.

Mark Reinmiller
02-14-2014, 03:48 PM
I have a 30+ year old Weil Mclain boiler. This morning I noticed no heat, so took a look and found a couple pieces of insulation had fallen onto the standing pilot which was out. I removed the insulation and fired the boiler back up no problem.
The insulation pieces are about 3/8 inch thick and together are about 40 square inches or so. Clearly I'm going to be in the market for a new boiler, but we're still paralyzed by snow so I don't think that's going to happen anytime real soon.
My question regards the purpose of the insulation. Is it mainly to reduce heat loss, or does it prevent the boiler cabinet from melting down? In other words, can I limp along for a bit with reduced efficiency, or would I be inviting a catastrophe?
Thanks!

That insulation is adjacent to the burners and protects the housing. Short term you may be ok without it, but I would try to put it back in place.

John Kogel
02-14-2014, 10:30 PM
That insulation is adjacent to the burners and protects the housing. Short term you may be ok without it, but I would try to put it back in place.Would you use a bit of fireclay? With a couple of bent sticks to hold it till dry?

Randy Aldering
02-17-2014, 08:33 AM
A picture would be helpful. In the end, if there is a critical function for the insulation, you have probably found out by now, or will soon enough.

Garry Sorrells
02-17-2014, 05:32 PM
If the insulation is from the plate that covers the access to the burners, then not an issue not to replace. Just remember the metal plate may be hot when you go to remove it to access burners.