PDA

View Full Version : sliding closet doors swing in and out

John Arnold
02-20-2014, 11:09 AM
This is hardly the sort of thing I usually pay much attention to, but I've learned over the years to listen to my client's concerns, and try to say something about them in the report.

The buyer this morning didn't like the way the sliding closet doors can swing into and out of the closet at the bottom. The photo shows a metal plate that I have swung the doors away from. Is there something missing that would hold the bottom of the doors in place?

Rick Cantrell
02-20-2014, 11:21 AM
You can get Sliding door guides at Lowes or most hardware stores. $5-$10
I not seen one like your photo, must be older than me.

John Arnold
02-20-2014, 11:44 AM
You can get Sliding door guides at Lowes or most hardware stores. $5-$10
I not seen one like your photo, must be older than me.

Thanks! The house is supposedly 55 and I guess the doors are original. So you're still a young man.

Jerry Peck
02-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Typically there is a guide at each pocket the doors slide into as well as a guide similar to the one in your photo for doors which meet in the center or are simply by-pass doors.

With by-pass doors there are no pockets so the doors remain held captive in the guide which prevents the doors from swinging in.

Bill Penn
02-24-2014, 05:53 AM
I always point out missing guides. Without the guides the doors could be pushed out at the bottom by a child playing and the door come off the track and fall on the child.

Don Hester
02-24-2014, 10:19 AM
I see this quite often also and always mention installing or repairing the guides.