PDA

View Full Version : First Post

Dan Popoff
10-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Hello everyone, I've been a loyal reader of this site for sometime. I am a termite/WDO inspector for a Pest Control company In South Carolina. I have, on many occasions had the opportunity to work at the same time with some high quality HI's in my area. This morning had a CL100 inspection at a property and to say it was a "train wreak" would put it mildly. I was the first on scene, followed by the buyer then the real estate agent then the HI came. After exchanging pleasantries with all involved, we both got to work. It didn't take long for us to comment to each other "great way to start off a Monday morning". I was the first to attempt to get into the crawl space. After encountering some issues with wildlife making a home under there, I quickly removed myself and called our office for "back-up". During the time I had on my hands waiting, I took the opportunity to watch and observe the HI do his thing. I have to report that it was an awesome experience to see a true professional navigate his trade. As the buyer came back and forth, the HI's comments in response to his questions were always both, professional and honest. I learned allot this morning, it's not always about the money. Glad to be in the group.

Billy Stephens
10-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Dan,

Is it WDO or WDI ?:D

Just Kidding we could use a Man like you.

Rick Hurst
10-22-2007, 09:42 PM
So was the report "clean and clear" ?

I never understood how a PC company could sign off on a report as such and sleep at night.

Dan Popoff
10-23-2007, 04:20 AM
Interesting, WDI referring to wood destroying insects (inspection) or WDO wood destroying organism, I prefer the latter, mainly because it encompasses wood destroying fungi where a WDI would not. Clean and clear, I don't prefer that term, mainly because the objective of the CL100 is to report the absence or presents of WDO. In this particular structure, there was evidence of pervious termite activity and no signs of prior treatment there by deeming the house to have an active infestation. As a side note to this house, I reported active fungi above the A/C transfer unit in the crawl space with wood moisture content levels above 30% thus deeming it active, the rest of the structure reported 12 to 15%. Tipped off the HI to this condition and of course deferring to the HVAC pro. Sleep very well at night.

Rick Hurst
10-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Dan,

Being a PCO / Termite Co. owner myself I understand where your coming from.

I had never heard the term CL100, so when I went looking up info on it I noticed the terms "free and clear" popped up a bit.

Myself I don't use those words like those but use words as "not visible" "no visible activity observed at this time", you know what I mean.

I just hear some of these PCO's around the nation having to use terms as free and clear and can only imagine how an attorney would eat you alive in court for it.

Sleep well. :D

Rick

Richard Rushing
10-23-2007, 07:02 AM
OK, I'll bite... what the hell is a CL-100 report? Never heard that one myself.

rr

Rick Hurst
10-23-2007, 07:12 AM
Clear 100% I hope not, Richard.

Well out the door I go. Another foreclosure. :eek:

rick

Richard Rushing
10-23-2007, 07:14 AM
Rick,
There is no such thing, is there (clear 100%)? ;)

rr

Dan Popoff
10-23-2007, 01:42 PM
My apologies, CL 100 is the official term used by the State of South Carolina. I believe it stands for Clearance Letter but I could be mistaken. WIR, I think is the most recognizable term for what we do. The powers that be (state regulatory agency) are tring to get away from using words like clear, pass/fail ect. ect. The counsel we get is that we should not inspect a house we ourselfs could not afford to buy. Got to love our court system.