PDA

View Full Version : Gusset plate placement.

Michael Chambers
02-25-2014, 12:22 AM
I would appreciate some comments and guidance on the placement of the gusset plate on this truss. It's set so high that it's only catching maybe 3/4 to 1 inch of the lower members at best. I'm concerned that this may not be enough to ensure structural integrity in these trusses. The insulation was deep enough, and the roof pitch low enough, that I couldn't traveling the length of the attic like I usually try to do, but looking from the hatch, it appeared that maybe 50% of the trusses had this gusset plate placement. The other 50% looked fine.

Thanks a lot for your help with this.

Raymond Wand
02-25-2014, 05:33 AM
It appears that it could have been placed better than it is, however I don't see the need to report it.
Nailer plates are hydraulically pressed into the connections at the plant.

The photo does not indicate any concerns.

http://www.cof.orst.edu/cof/wse/faculty/gupta/PDF/Metal-Plate-Connected%20Wood%20Joints%20%20A%20Literature%20Re view.pdf

Dom D'Agostino
02-25-2014, 05:48 AM
Agree with Raymond, not likely an issue. The trusses all act together once assembled and sheathed.

The framing looks at least 30 years old and hasn't showed any negative effects yet.

Dom.

Mark Reinmiller
02-25-2014, 07:12 PM
I would appreciate some comments and guidance on the placement of the gusset plate on this truss. It's set so high that it's only catching maybe 3/4 to 1 inch of the lower members at best. I'm concerned that this may not be enough to ensure structural integrity in these trusses. The insulation was deep enough, and the roof pitch low enough, that I couldn't traveling the length of the attic like I usually try to do, but looking from the hatch, it appeared that maybe 50% of the trusses had this gusset plate placement. The other 50% looked fine.

Thanks a lot for your help with this.

You are correct. The plates were poorly placed, which is poor quality control at the plant. I would note it and tell the client that there is some potential for concern. If it has been that way for a long time it probably will not concern most buyers, but better to have pointed it out than not.

Michael Chambers
02-26-2014, 01:08 AM
You are correct. The plates were poorly placed, which is poor quality control at the plant. I would note it and tell the client that there is some potential for concern. If it has been that way for a long time it probably will not concern most buyers, but better to have pointed it out than not.

Well that's a good point. Thanks everyone, for your help with this one.

Ermanno D'Angelo
03-04-2014, 06:12 AM
What about plate on other side, if it's placed better I wouldn't worry about it.

Michael Chambers
03-04-2014, 09:46 PM
What about plate on other side, if it's placed better I wouldn't worry about it.

Good point, but the plates on both sides were identically placed.