PDA

View Full Version : Moisture Damage on Interior Wall

Nick Ostrowski
03-12-2014, 03:59 AM
The house has a stucco over brick exterior wall surface and plaster interior walls. The exterior stucco was fine with no cracks and no gaps on the exterior window ledge. The AC condenser unit was located about 1.5-2 feet away from the exterior wall surface where this appears. There are no plumbing lines in this area. But this small area of interior wall surface has the moisture damage and and elevated moisture level. My only guess is that the exterior wall surface in this spot has little air flow and no direct sunlight and as a result, the area remains cool and damp and moisture has migrated through the wall.

Thoughts?

(pics deleted)

Raymond Wand
03-12-2014, 04:10 AM
No or little insulation, likely no vapour barrier (old house) condensation occurring.

Jerry Peck
03-12-2014, 04:33 AM
Nick,

Is that a chair rail or a window sill in the photo?

Raymond Wand
03-12-2014, 05:01 AM
Also Nick what is the age of the house? Also do you know if its balloon framed?

Nick Ostrowski
03-12-2014, 05:16 AM
Public record indicates 1925

Can't even post pics through photobucket without the my file name showing.

The wall is not below grade. This is a 1st floor dining room. Jerry, that is a window sill.

House is roughly 100 years +/- and not balloon framed.

Jerry Peck
03-12-2014, 05:17 AM
Public record indicates 1925

Nick,

The above is the reason that you should rename the photos so they do not contain the address of the house.

That address is now available to everyone on the internet - recommend you delete the photos, rename them, then repost the photos.

Nick Ostrowski
03-12-2014, 05:19 AM
I'm just going to delete them. Posting pics here has become a pain in multiple ways. Pics are too big or pic file name shows.

Raymond Wand
03-12-2014, 05:39 AM
Lime based old plaster, painted over with inappropriate non breathable paint, lime based plaster has to breathe, paint has trapped moisture.

Scott Patterson
03-12-2014, 06:09 AM
Leaking around the window would be my SWAG.

I never have problems posting pictures. I just use the upload feature and they post. I think most of my image file sizes are all in the 100kb to 200kb range, I have my camera set on the lowest resolution or Email setting.

Jerry Peck
03-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Leaking around the window would be my SWAG.

Same as Scott said - that is why I asked if that was a window sill as it looked like sunlight coming in, which indicated a window, and many windows leak.

Nick Ostrowski
03-12-2014, 10:15 AM
The exterior frame and sill looked tight with no visible gaps or openings. Who knows.