PDA

View Full Version : (CO) Certificate of Occupancy

Chip O'Brian
10-24-2007, 08:21 AM
Doing a seller inspection original home 7 years old. Home owner builds a detached garage with guest apartment under same roof. No final inspection done or CO. (1) is a CO required? (2) If so are CO's required for HI do do inspections.

Rick Cantrell
10-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Your local building inspection department can tell you if a new CO is needed.
Depends on weather it changed the occupancy or not.

Jim Robinson
10-24-2007, 08:45 AM
That will be up to your local muni guys. I always disclaim permits, final COs, zoning, surveys, etc. Tell the client to research the issue. It was their house, correct? If you want to dig into it yourself, call the local AHJ and ask them about it. I don't see why a CO would be required for an inspection. They are separate issues in my opinion. For someone to live in the apartment, I would think a CO would be required.

Dom D'Agostino
10-24-2007, 08:50 AM
1) Yes, a permitted addition requires specific inspections completed at certain intervals, relative to the scope of the project. That includes a final inspection. Assuming the permit was approved and issued, of course.

2) No, CO not required for you to inspect. An HI can inspect it before, or after, a CO is issued.

Advise your client to clear that issue up with the local Building Dept. before it becomes an even bigger problem.

Dom.

Chip O'Brian
10-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Did make the call yes to CO as it is living space a CC if not. Thanks Gentlemen