PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Venting Device

Jim Kasterko
03-30-2014, 10:00 AM
I found this device in an attic of a townhouse style condo in Columbia, MD. I could not navigate the attic for several reasons. I dont know where the input and output vents go. I could not find the gas dryer vent which exhausts up through the attic. Any helpp appreciated. I know this isn't much information. 30302

Dom D'Agostino
03-30-2014, 05:36 PM
Most likely a Heat Recovery Ventilation unit (HRV) a type of air-to-air heat exchanger.

Dom.

Billy Stephens
03-30-2014, 06:25 PM
What does the Warning Label say?

John Kogel
03-30-2014, 06:49 PM
What does the Warning Label say?"If you can read this label, you got your face in the fiberglass, dude. Wear a mask!" :D

Yes it is a ventilator in all likelihood but it is poorly installed on the insulation like that.
We would have to know where the pipes are terminated to say more.

Billy Stephens
03-30-2014, 08:23 PM
"If you can read this label, you got your face in the fiberglass, dude. Wear a mask!" :D

The OP has the good photo maybe he can zoom in and read whats on the label.
*is this type of technology available in Canada?:p
**save a few of the two-four for Breakfast. :)

John Kogel
03-30-2014, 09:01 PM
http://www.broan.com/common/seriesimagehandler.ashx?id=c097ae66-a5c3-449c-a7ca-b7ac2b14dd04http://www.broan.com/common/seriesimagehandler.ashx?id=ebdeee6d-2fda-45a9-b61f-feed733325dc
It might just be an inline fan with a bigger than usual housing. These ones are Broan, and I got bored searching after that.

With no sign of a door for cleaning, it is not likely an HRV, IMO.

No, here in the wild Northwest, we just punch a fist thru the wall or kick out a window for ventilation. Cover the hole with a baby seal pelt in the winter. :D

Raymond Wand
03-31-2014, 04:38 AM
Label states - Warning Disconnect Power Before Servicing Unit

There is also a high temp sensor at the vent area. There fore I don't think its part of a heat recovery unit. Possibly a concentric type vent being used/installed in an inappropriate and contrary to manufactures installations instructions..

Tom Rees
03-31-2014, 07:55 AM
I'll go with an "Air Exchanger" but as rest said I don't think it is installed correctly. I don't see many of these in my area but don't they usually pull air from exterior not attic. Second guess would be some kind of venting system for bathrooms, one fan, multiple intakes??? Let us know what you find out.

Jerry Peck
03-31-2014, 09:09 AM
As installed, I might go with Insulation Particulate Injector, or maybe Fresh Air Contamination Source.

Dan Goin
03-31-2014, 12:01 PM
WARNING: Disconnect power to unit before removing access panel.

Tom Rees
03-31-2014, 12:20 PM
As installed, I might go with Insulation Particulate Injector, or maybe Fresh Air Contamination Source.
Good one Jerry, At first I was trying to figure out what the devices were you were talking about and then I got the humor.

Jerry Peck
03-31-2014, 01:49 PM
Tom,

I didn't realize it until your post, but ... I forgot the smiley. :)

Vern Heiler
03-31-2014, 06:10 PM
Tom,

I didn't realize it until your post, but ... I forgot the smiley. :)
Jokes are better when you don't laugh at your own, that's why I don't watch Letterman.

Jerry Peck
03-31-2014, 06:20 PM
Jokes are better when you don't laugh at your own, that's why I don't watch Letterman.

So I should have, or should not have put a smiley after the first post?

Does only the hairdresser know for sure? :confused: