PDA

View Full Version : Green and Black Copper Piping

Richard Roshak
10-25-2007, 05:50 PM
These photo's are from a 2 year old home. Home has a basement, poured concrete foundation, no signs of water penetration, no chemicals stored in basement and owner keeps humidity level around 55%. Any idea what the cause is?
Rich

Jim Luttrall
10-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Excessive condensation on cold water pipes?

Billy Stephens
10-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Richard,

Is this home close to salt water and the basement cross ventilated ?

Richard Roshak
10-25-2007, 07:05 PM
The green is on both hot and cold piping.

No, we are not near the ocean.

wayne soper
10-25-2007, 07:09 PM
That is some kind of chemical reaction. That is not common condensation or corrosion from common elements. How long have they been in the home. And how long has it been like this. Need more info

Billy Stephens
10-25-2007, 08:09 PM
These photo's are from a 2 year old home. Home has a basement, poured concrete foundation, no signs of water penetration, no chemicals stored in basement and owner keeps humidity level around 55%. Any idea what the cause is?
Rich

The green is on both hot and cold piping.

No, we are not near the ocean.

That is some kind of chemical reaction.

Richard,
(site search corrosion)
From what you describe and some of the photos the copper pipe could be corroding from the inside out. Copper Development Association - www.copper.org - Info on copper and its alloys.
(http://www.copper.org)

wayne soper
10-25-2007, 08:40 PM
That is not from the inside out. That is something that splattered or condensed on the pipe surface.

Billy Stephens
10-25-2007, 09:05 PM
That is not from the inside out. That is something that splattered or condensed on the pipe surface.
Wayne,

Thats what I was thinking. Just going by Richards statements and photos.

1. Not evidence of staining of over spray on surrounding surfaces.

2. No over flux pattern.

3. Most signs of corrosion appear on bottom of water lines that have a downward bow.

Jon Randolph
10-25-2007, 09:49 PM
By looking at the engineered joists, it appears that you may be right next to the center supporting block wall in the basement. Could it be muriatic acid from someone trying to clean up after a sloppy mason after the fact?

What is that (black) to the left in your 2nd pic? It also has the pattern on it.

Richard Roshak
10-26-2007, 04:49 AM
These pipes are in the center of the basement, I did inspect this home prior to closing and this green was not there. I inspected the home yesterday for the owners two year warranty.

Bill Wieczorek
10-26-2007, 11:42 AM
I have that on my copper pipe coming out of the hot water tank. The house is 30 years old so you can be sure its not a big problem. I agree its likely something the plumber did to clean up the pipe. My water is fine and so are the pipes.

Robert Dalga
10-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Did you look to see if any on the copper pipes were in contact with the galvanized (forced air) ducts or any galvanized metal? This situation could cause the corrision shown in your photos. My only other suggestion/thought might be aggressive water.

Rick Hurst
10-27-2007, 04:13 PM
I have read also that high levels of sulphur and chloride in water can cause such corrosion.

rick

wayne soper
10-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Are they storing any swimming pool chemicals under the pipes?

Billy Stephens
10-27-2007, 04:48 PM
These photo's are from a 2 year old home. Home has a basement, poured concrete foundation, no signs of water penetration, no chemicals stored

Wayne,

It's a stumper Ain"t It!! :D

Martin Baker
10-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Rich

Richard was this corrosion in a centralized location or throughout the system?
Martin

Richard Roshak
10-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Martin,

All exposed piping in the basement was this color.

Rich

wayne soper
10-29-2007, 05:08 PM
OK " Broker appears to have passed gas in the basement area causing caustic discoloration and damage to copper water lines." That was easy!

Billy Stephens
10-29-2007, 05:28 PM
I have read also that high levels of sulphur and chloride in water can cause such corrosion. rick

Rick

I was leaning toward something in the water source also.

I did a blowup of picture # 4 and saw a shiny piece of cooper pipe where black scale was
removed.

At this point Wayne's reason sounds as good as any.

( unless something corrosive had been stored and has been removed)