PDA

View Full Version : Saw on Face Book ?????

Randy White
04-02-2014, 09:10 PM
Saw this on face book on ways to save space. Would this be proper???
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hcFY68Ejh4c/Uy2fEJfJ0RI/AAAAAAAAKkc/zkPtWn0cx6Y/s640/home-ideas-12.jpg

Jerry Peck
04-03-2014, 04:55 AM
Only if that is one of those fake outlets which is really a small safe in the wall.

Not if that is a real electrical receptacle, with a box, and wired properly.

Scott Patterson
04-03-2014, 04:59 AM
As Jerry noted, it ain't going to work! Just the movement alone from opening and closing the drawer would cause haviock with the connections, etc.

Scott Patterson
04-03-2014, 06:57 AM
Without seeing the wiring it is hard to determine if the pictured device is proper.

There are a number of ways that this can be installed in compliance with regulations.

There is also a patent on a UL approved drawer receptacle device .

Jim, could you share how the movement of the power cable is handled with the receptacle that is shown? Wouldn't the movement of the cable weaken the connections and lead to a possible short or worse? Other than using a listed system what would you do?

I have seen this in homes before, but this is not what is in the picture from what I can tell
http://www.dockingdrawer.com/sites/default/files/DockingDrawerLiterature.pdf Randy, this would be what you are looking for....

Randy White
04-03-2014, 07:41 AM
Seeing the one Scott posted makes sense. What bothers me is that they show this as ways to save space in your kitchen and now these DIY people will install with out proper wiring harness. One more thing for us to keep a lookout for.....

- - - Updated - - -

Seeing the one Scott posted makes sense. What bothers me is that they show this as ways to save space in your kitchen and now these DIY people will install with out proper wiring harness. One more thing for us to keep a lookout for.....

Jack Feldmann
04-03-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm not saying that its right, but there are many light fixtures that have a lot of movement built in.
Work table lights for one.

Jerry Peck
04-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Jim this not the same. I can see how that would work as the outlet is attached to the cabinet not the drawer itself. No different then plugging in a 3 way and viola you have power to the outlet or device.

Kevin,

You are correct. Pay little or no attention to what the other says, but you have most likely figured that out by now.

I adjusted the brightness and contrast of the original photo to show what I saw behind the drawer - a coiled up cord.

John Kogel
04-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Good one for the back of the knife drawer. :D

I suppose the flexible cord coils itself neatly every time you close the drawer?
Can't designer people find better ways instead of always trying to make things worse? :D

Mbrooke
04-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Ive seen it before. they are popular in some places. Theory is a hair dryer gets plugged in or curler and no need to drape cords over the sink or plug/unplug.

On down side I guess would be if someone accidently left a hair curler on or was to come on spontaneously.

Those when done right have a flexible cord, or, in theory a power rail.

Glenn R Cummings
04-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Great Idea...
I would add a gas line and sewer line for full convenience.