PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Requesting Roof Rating

Jerry Harcek
04-28-2014, 10:32 PM
I had a client ask for a roof rating to satisfy a request from their homeowner's insurance. I'm guessing it's an impact resistance rating they're looking for. Is there an easy way to tell - based on thickness of the shingles or something?

Jim Robinson
04-29-2014, 09:21 AM
Could be a fire resistance rating. That pops up here from time to time. No way to tell by looking at the shingles that I'm aware of. The packaging would have that information. Not familiar with any impact ratings, so no help for you if that's what they're after. Better get more info from the insurance company.

Jerry Peck
04-29-2014, 09:27 AM
I'm with Jim as to the insurance company probably looking for a fire resistance rating.

If your area has a building department you can check on a permit and what was installed, the manufacturer's information should be able to lead you to a fire resistance rating.

Jerry Harcek
04-29-2014, 12:14 PM
The permit doesn't list what materials were used, but I'm contacting the contractor to see if they keep records of that.

Thanks for the help!

Matt Fellman
04-30-2014, 05:38 PM
Regional differences are funny.... around here (Oregon) all the insurance companies care about is moss.

Scott Patterson
04-30-2014, 07:36 PM
I had a client ask for a roof rating to satisfy a request from their homeowner's insurance. I'm guessing it's an impact resistance rating they're looking for. Is there an easy way to tell - based on thickness of the shingles or something?

Ask the insurance company exactly what they want. Don't guess.......

Gunnar Alquist
05-01-2014, 07:13 AM
Regional differences are funny.... around here (Oregon) all the insurance companies care about is moss.

Matt,

Moss? On a fiberglass shingle? Does it really matter or are they thinking that the amount of moss indicates age?

Matt Fellman
05-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Matt,

Moss? On a fiberglass shingle? Does it really matter or are they thinking that the amount of moss indicates age?

That's a great questions and I don't know..... I've never had it come up at my own house (because I'm an anal HI and treat my roof every year :) ) but have heard about it from buyers and agents many times. I'd guess it's just because it's something easy to complain about from a "drive-by". I suppose it might be because it's just a sign of neglected maintenance.

When it gets really bad it causes water to pond like ice dams and can lead to leaks. It gets super bad sometimes when there's lots of shade.

Jerry Peck
05-03-2014, 06:28 AM
Matt,

Those aren't photos of fiberglass shingles with moss on them ... those are photos of moss farming on limited land area so the roof areas were used for moss farming too. ;)

Edward Best
05-05-2014, 11:29 AM

In Florida, they want to know the sheating thickness, nail or staple length and spacing, type and approximate age of shingles. See wind Mitigation.

Tim Kerce
05-05-2014, 11:42 AM
In Oklahoma, some of my Clients are asking about the impact-resistance classification (Class 1, Class 2, Class 3, Class 4) of the product under U.L. Standard 2218. Insurance companies are giving discounts for the higher ratings.

Rob Kinsey
05-05-2014, 04:09 PM
I would ask the insurance company exactly what they want and why and then play CYA like nobodies business. I agree they are looking for a way to not pay, like usual.

My experience with moss as a general contractor and HI is that moss will eat the life out of the shingles in short order. It does not matter if the mat is the old school felt or fiberglass, moss will ruin it for sure, the roots will destroy it all. Algae on the other hand looks bad and won't harm anything.

- - - Updated - - -

In Oklahoma, some of my Clients are asking about the impact-resistance classification (Class 1, Class 2, Class 3, Class 4) of the product under U.L. Standard 2218. Insurance companies are giving discounts for the higher ratings.

Is this for hail resistance in tornado alley?

Tim Kerce
05-06-2014, 09:00 AM
Yes. My insurance company will discount Coverage A by 15% if the roof has a Class IV impact rating. I always refer my Clients back to the home owner for manufacture's information on the roof installed.

Lon Henderson
05-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Pass on that request. There is no way to look at an installed composition shingle and determine any rating. I have IR shingles, but without the documentation, you'd have to tear one off to know it.